Links with industry
We create partnerships and collaborations with leading business, law and technology companies to offer our students unique courses, placements and collaboration opportunities with the aim of ensuring our students move seamlessly from study to career.
Focus on technology
We prepare our students for Industry 4.0, embedding digital proficiency into the heart of our courses. With courses in areas like fintech, artificial intelligence, data analytics and cyber criminology, we ensure to keep in step with the digital revolution.
Beating heart of East London
Our prime location in East London’s burgeoning Docklands – in the heart of London’s only enterprise zone – and neighbouring the City and Canary Wharf – ensures our students are primed for a professional career at some of the capital’s most advanced global companies.
Who we are
The Royal Docks School of Business and Law is a contemporary and vibrant learning community where we focus on providing a transformational educational experience for our students. We are on a cusp of a new digital revolution and have designed our courses with an understanding of how technology has advanced the practices of business and law.
In saying that, we also recognise that
technology is just a tool – it is people with influence, experience and vision
that will shape the digitally evolved world of the future.
Our ambition is to be a global school of stature, producing those future leaders, thinkers and paradigm-shifters. We have a natural advantage – our location sets us in the heart of one of the most diverse and exciting commercial cultures in the world, a stone’s throw from traditional blue-chip institutions as well as the disruptors of the burgeoning tech and start-up sector.
- The Royal Docks School of Business and Law is a pioneering school with a diverse student body in one of the world’s most multicultural and vibrant areas at the heart of £1.7bn regeneration programme in what has been hailed as London’s third financial district.
- Our teaching staff have extensive professional experience offering courses that are professionally-accredited with real-world experience essential to our quest to prepare students for a successful career.
- We are an educational hub that reaches out to the world-leading resources on our doorstep. We have a wide range of industry links and connections that give our students exposure to some of the biggest brands and names. Industry links include partnerships, placement opportunities, live project briefs, joint courses and research collaborations.
- Our teaching expertise is supported by our cutting edge facilities. For example, our Bloomberg training suite is one of the largest in the country, providing access to the same financial trading facilities used by financial and business professionals around the world.
- Our law department is celebrating 45 years of teaching law in September 2020 and this tradition of activist law is coupled to the most up-to-date facilities, including a dedicated mooting room, and opportunities to network at the heart of the UK’s world-renowned legal sector.
- Our criminology and policing qualifications prepare you for work in the real world. Our new Online Harms and Cyber Crime Unit frequently leads on public policy initiatives while our pro-bono Legal Advice Centre offers help to people facing genuine legal concerns in a community often unable to access help.
Many of our courses are accredited by the relevant industry bodies. Our accreditations include:
We have superb links with businesses in Canary Wharf, London and across the world.
Our graduates have gone on to work for companies such as Nomura, IAG Cargo, Macquarie, HSBC, Barclays, Wells Fargo and Metro Bank.
Dean: Professor Mohammad Ali
Department of Business, Entrepreneurship and Finance
Head of Department: Dr. Richard Courtney
- Agyemang-Badu, Kwabena – Lecturer
Ambe, Emmanuel – Lecturer
- Ahmed, Dabir Uddin – Senior Lecturer
- Boahen, Eric Owusu – Senior Lecturer
- Butt, Shazaib – Lecturer
- Chan, Tat Lung (Ron) – Senior Lecturer
- Duong, Chau – Programme Leader, BA Accounting and Finance
- Elfeituri, Hatem – Lecturer
- Fouskas, Vassilis K – Professor, Director of STAMP
- Lai, Baoying – Lecturer
- Maharaj, Jassodra – Senior Lecturer
- Olatubosun, Olaposi – Senior Lecturer
- Osinubi, Igbekele Sunday – Lecturer
- Preddie, Beverley – Lecturer
- Roy-Mukherjee, Shampa – Senior Lecturer
- Shabani, Mimoza - Lecturer
- Tapuwa Mabvira, Lazarus – MBA Director
- Udeogu, Ejike – Lecturer
- Adisa, Toyin – Lecturer
- Abinusawa, Dayo – Senior Lecturer
- Al-Abdulrazak, Rula – Senior Lecturer
Akinseye – Lecturer
- Boocock, Andrew – Senior Lecturer
- Garvin, Wilma – Senior Lecturer
- Gbadamosi, Ayantunji – Senior Lecturer
- Hayes, John Paul – Senior Lecturer
- Kelly, Aidan – Senior Lecturer
- Kypuram, Jaya – Senior Lecturer
- Mingazova, Dilara - Lecturer
- Naghieh, Ali – Senior Lecturer
- Olagundoye Ann – Professor/Reader, Programme Leader, BSc Business Management
- Okoya, Olajumoke – Lecturer
- Page-Tickell, Rebecca – Programme Lecturer
- Raszewski, Slawomir – Lecturer
- Sandland, Stephanie – Senior Lecturer
- Unhale, Manish – Senior Lecturer
Department of Law and Criminology
Acting Head of Department, Law and Criminology - Barry Collins
- Akoto, Augostina – Senior Lecturer
- Balan, Anil – Principal Lecturer, Programme Leader of LLB (Hons) Programme
- Collins, Barry – Senior Lecturer, Programme Leader of LLM Programme
- Collins, Nicholas – Senior Lecturer
- Crawford, Sonia – Senior Lecturer
- Davies, Emma – Senior Lecturer
- Fox, Sarah – Programme Leader
- Glennon, Patrick – Lecturer
- Heard, Barry – Senior Lecturer
- Hobby, Catherine – Senior Lecturer
- Jackson, Abigail – Lecturer
- Kivotidis, Dimitros – Lecturer
- Kufuor, Kofi – Professor
- Meloni, Annalisa – Senior Lecturer
- Pickford, Elizabeth Jane – Senior Lecturer, Programme Leader of Combined Honours Law programmes
- Salami, Iwalesco – Senior Lecturer, Leader for Research Degree Programmes
- Scarlett, Eleanor – Lecturer
- Stokes, Elizabeth – Senior Lecturer
- Sycz, Emilia – Lecturer
- Wilson, Alan – Principal Lecturer and School Quality Leader
Facilities and research
be situated in the heart of London's most energetic and rapidly changing
district. Classes take place in our ultra-modern teaching hubs at University
Square Stratford and Dockland campus. The bespoke and modern campus facilities
are complete with extensive 24-hour library access, tiered lecture theatres,
seminar rooms, cafes and shops.
Our range of Business Management courses have tailored facilities like the MBA suite and the Bloomberg terminal. Business students can engage with the Knowledge Dock which houses growing businesses and organises a range of events and activities for small businesses and the wider East London community. Our Tax and Accountancy clinic provides free advice to business and acts as a link for students to gain practical industry skills.
Our students can take part in debates in the law department’s own Mooting Room and can help make a difference in the community through the University of East London’s Legal Advice Centre.. Students give their expertise to those unable to pay for legal assistance and gain legal experience on real-life issues. Most recently the Law department opened its Online Harms and Cyber Crime Unit (OHCCU) specialising in investigation, dissemination, education and policy formation.
Our tourism and hospitality students benefit from our location in one of the most visited cities in the world. As well as the core teaching facilities at East London, you'll have the chance to visit culture and tourism hotspots across the capital; we have major conference and sporting venues such as the ExCel Centre and Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park on our doorstep, and fantastic links with museums, hotels and restaurants throughout London.
The School of Business and Law is home to high quality, industry specific, practice related world-class research originating from our staff and research centres. The Centre on Human Rights in Conflict that carries out academic and policy-orientated research in situations of military, political, cultural, social, economic conflict and in transition from authoritarian regimes. The Centre for Innovation Management and Enterprise is a research and development centre that has been created by the School of Business and Law with the support of Martin Slark and Molex Inc. Its vision is to achieve and sustain globally recognised thought leadership in these two important areas. The Centre for Islamic Financial Law and Communities is recognised for its excellence in the dissemination, application and critique of Islamic banking and finance processes and practices. The Centre for the Study of States, Markets and People promotes advanced and applied research within the fields of law, politics, sociology, history and economics.
For more information on our research interests and groups, and research degrees, visit our Research page.
Hear from our graduates
Brecht VANGRINSVEN (MSc International Business Management)
Coming from a small university in America, I did not quite know what to expect when pursuing a postgraduate degree in London, at UEL. However, due to the fantastic staff on my program, it soon did not feel quite as far from home. UEL has further enriched my knowledge, and it was an inspiring experience, both academically and mentally. Furthermore, I have experienced first-hand cultural differences that can only aid in my future endeavours. The lecturers are all incredibly supportive and help the students in any way they can.