We create partnerships and collaborations with leading business, law, tourism and technology companies to offer you unique courses, placements and collaboration opportunities with the aim of ensuring you move seamlessly from study to career.
Focus on technology
We will prepare you for Industry 4.0, embedding digital proficiency into the heart of our courses. With courses in areas like fintech, artificial intelligence, data analytics and cyber criminology, we ensure to keep in step with the digital revolution.
Beating heart of East London
With our campuses in East London’s burgeoning Stratford and Docklands, you’ll benefit from being in close proximity to innovative start-ups, global corporations and London’s only enterprise zone. Neighbouring the City and Canary Wharf also ensures you are primed for a professional career.
Who we are
The Royal Docks School of Business and Law is a contemporary and vibrant learning community where we focus on providing a transformational educational experience for our students. We are on a cusp of a new digital revolution and have designed our courses with an understanding of how technology has advanced the practices of business and law.
In saying that, we also recognise that
technology is just a tool – it is people with influence, experience and vision
that will shape the digitally evolved world of the future.
Our ambition is to be a global school of stature, producing those future leaders, thinkers and paradigm-shifters. We have a natural advantage – our location sets us in the heart of one of the most diverse and exciting commercial cultures in the world, a stone’s throw from traditional blue-chip institutions as well as the disruptors of the burgeoning tech and start-up sector.
This year we are celebrating 45 years of Law at University of East London. See more.
- The Royal Docks School of Business and Law is a pioneering school with a diverse student body in one of the world’s most multicultural and vibrant areas at the heart of £1.7bn regeneration programme in what has been hailed as London’s third financial district.
- Our revolutionary Professional Fitness and Mental Wealth programme recognises the rising demand for human skills, putting these at the heart of all our degrees. These soft skills, such as critical thinking, emotional intelligence and resilience coupled with practical skills, such as digital proficiency and industry connections, will help future-proof your career.
- Our teaching staff have extensive professional real-world experience offering courses that are professionally-accredited with real-world experience essential to our quest to prepare students for a successful career.
- We are an educational hub that reaches out to the world-leading resources on our doorstep. With a wide range of industry links and connections, we give our students exposure to some of the biggest brands and names through. Partnerships, placement opportunities, live project briefs, joint courses and research collaborations.
- Our teaching expertise is supported by our cutting edge facilities. Our Bloomberg training suite is one of the largest in the country, providing access to the same financial trading facilities used by financial and business professionals around the world.
- Our law department is celebrating 45 years of teaching law in September 2020 and this tradition of activist law is coupled to the most up-to-date facilities, including a dedicated mooting room, and opportunities to network at the heart of the UK’s world-renowned legal sector.
- Our criminology and policing qualifications prepare you for work in the real world. Our new Online Harms and Cyber Crime Unit frequently leads on public policy initiatives while our pro-bono Legal Advice Centre offers help to people facing genuine legal concerns in a community often unable to access help.
Many of our courses are accredited by the relevant industry bodies. Our accreditations include:
- Chartered Banker Institute (CBI)
- Chartered Instituter of Personnel and Development (CIPD)
- Chartered Management Institute (CMI)
- Chartered Institute of Marketing (CIM)
- CPA Australia
- ICAEW Chartered Accountants
- The Association of international accountants
- CFA Institute
- Institute of Hospitality
- Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA)
- Bar Standards Board (BSB)
- National Association of Licensed Paralegals (NALP)
- College of Policing (COP)
BUSINESS MANAGEMENT, ENTREPRENEURSHIP AND FINANCE
We have superb links with businesses in Canary Wharf, London and across the world. Our graduates have gone on to work for companies such as Nomura, IAG Cargo, Macquarie, HSBC, Barclays, Wells Fargo and Metro Bank. Engage with the Knowledge Dock which houses growing businesses and organises a range of events and activities for small businesses and the wider East London community. Our Tax and Accountancy clinic provides free advice to business and acts as a link for you to gain practical industry skills.
LAW, POLICING AND JUSTICE
Take part in debates in the law department’s own Mooting Room and help make a difference in the community through the University of East London’s Legal Advice Centre. Give you expertise to those unable to pay for legal assistance and gain legal experience on real-life issues. Join our recently pioneered Online Harms and Cyber Crime Unit (OHCCU) specialising in investigation, dissemination, education and policy formation.
HOSPITALITY, EVENTS AND TOURISM
Benefit from our location in one of the most visited cities in the world. With core teaching facilities at East London, you'll have the chance to visit culture and tourism hotspots across the capital. We have major conference and sporting venues such as the ExCel Centre and Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park on our doorstep, and fantastic links with museums, hotels and restaurants throughout London.
The Good Hotel, London
Royal Docks School of Business and Law
Dean: Professor Mohammad Ali
Dean of Royal Docks School of Business and Law: Professor Mohammad Ali
Director of Careers and Enterprise: Adam Doyle
Director of Impact and Innovation: Shampa Roy-Mukherjee
Director of Education and Experience: Rebecca Page-Tickell
Recruitment and Marketing Coordinator: Jaya Kypuram
School Manager: Suzanne McDonald
Deputy School Manager: Caroline Purcell
Head of Department - Dr Richard Courtney
Accounting, Finance and Economics staff
- Agyemang-Badu, Kwabena – Senior Lecturer
Ambe, Emmanuel – Lecturer
- Ahmed, Dabir Uddin – Senior Lecturer
- Boahen, Eric Owusu – Senior Lecturer
- Butt, Shazaib – Lecturer
- Chan, Tat Lung (Ron) – Senior Lecturer
- Duong, Chau – Programme Leader, BA Accounting and Finance
- Elfeituri, Hatem – Lecturer
- Fouskas, Vassilis K – Professor, Director of STAMP
- Lai, Baoying – Lecturer
- Maharaj, Jassodra – Senior Lecturer
- Olatubosun, Olaposi – Senior Lecturer
- Osinubi, Igbekele Sunday – Senior Lecturer
- Preddie, Beverley – Lecturer
- Roy-Mukherjee, Shampa – Senior Lecturer
- Shabani, Mimoza -Senior Lecturer
- Tapuwa Mabvira, Lazarus – MBA Director
- Udeogu, Ejike – Lecturer
Business Management, Marketing and Human Resource Management Staff
- Adisa, Toyin – Senior Lecturer
- Al-Abdulrazak, Rula – Senior Lecturer
Akinseye – Lecturer
- Boocock, Andrew – Course Leader
- Garvin, Wilma – Senior Lecturer
- Gbadamosi, Ayantunji – Senior Lecturer
- Hayes, John Paul – Senior Lecturer
- Kelly, Aidan – Course Lecturer
- Kypuram, Jaya – Senior Lecturer
- Mingazova, Dilara - Senior Lecturer
- Naghieh, Ali – Senior Lecturer
- Olagundoye Ann – Course Leader
- Okoya, Olajumoke – Course Lecturer
- Page-Tickell, Rebecca – Course Leader
- Raszewski, Slawomir – Senior Lecturer
- Sandland, Stephanie – Senior Lecturer
- Unhale, Manish – Senior Lecturer
Head of Department - Barry Collins
Criminology and policing staff
- Davidson, Julia – Professor of Criminology
- Javaid, Aliraza – Course Leader
- Joseph, Ian – Course Leader
- Winter, Aaron – Course Lecturer
- Akoto, Augustina – Senior Lecturer
- Balan, Anil – Principal Lecturer, Course Leader of LLB (Hons) Programme
- Collins, Barry – Senior Lecturer, Course Leader of LLM Programme
- Davies, Emma – Senior Lecturer
- Fox, Sarah – Course Leader
- Glennon, Patrick – Lecturer
- Heard, Barry – Senior Lecturer
- Hobby, Catherine – Senior Lecturer
- Jackson, Abigail – Lecturer
- Kivotidis, Dimitros – Lecturer
- Kufuor, Kofi – Professor
- Meloni, Annalisa – Senior Lecturer
- Rehal-Wilde, Emma – Lecturer
- Salami, Iwalesco – Senior Lecturer, Leader for Research Degree Programmes
- Scarlett, Eleanor – Lecturer
- Stokes, Elizabeth – Senior Lecturer
- Sycz, Emilia – Lecturer
- Wilson, Alan – Principal Lecturer and School Quality Leader
Facilities and research
be situated in the heart of London's most energetic and rapidly changing
district. Classes take place in our ultra-modern teaching hubs at University
Square Stratford and Dockland campus. The bespoke and modern campus facilities
are complete with extensive 24-hour library access, tiered lecture theatres,
seminar rooms, cafes and shops.
We have tailored facilities like the MBA suite and the Bloomberg terminal and take part in debates in the law department’s own Mooting Room.
Research, Impact and Innovation
The School of Business and Law is home to high quality, industry specific, practice related world-class research originating from our staff and research centres. The Centre on Human Rights in Conflict that carries out academic and policy-orientated research in situations of military, political, cultural, social, economic conflict and in transition from authoritarian regimes. The Centre for Innovation Management and Enterprise is a research and development centre that has been created by the School of Business and Law with the support of Martin Slark and Molex Inc. Its vision is to achieve and sustain globally recognised thought leadership in these two important areas. The Centre for Islamic Financial Law and Communities is recognised for its excellence in the dissemination, application and critique of Islamic banking and finance processes and practices. The Centre for the Study of States, Markets and People promotes advanced and applied research within the fields of law, politics, sociology, history and economics. The Noon Centre has established several collaborative partnerships and a portfolio of UN funded projects on gender and land development, climate change and human rights, and gender and age. It has carried out consultative services for several international organisations and governments. At local level, it supports key collaborative projects in Newham Council, such as ‘50 steps to a Healthier Newham’ and is developing work on the economic impact of Covid-19 in East London.
For more information on our research interests and groups, and research degrees, visit our Research page.
Hear from our graduates
Brecht VANGRINSVEN (MSc International Business Management)
Coming from a small university in America, I did not quite know what to expect when pursuing a postgraduate degree in London, at UEL. However, due to the fantastic staff on my program, it soon did not feel quite as far from home. UEL has further enriched my knowledge, and it was an inspiring experience, both academically and mentally. Furthermore, I have experienced first-hand cultural differences that can only aid in my future endeavours. The lecturers are all incredibly supportive and help the students in any way they can.