Business Management Entrepreneurship and Finance
We teach in a way that allows you to continually evolve as the business world changes, giving you a superb foundation in fundamental business concepts, as well as specialist professional skills, and a wider understanding of the technological and economic landscape that businesses operate in.
Many of our courses provide an essential step towards gaining the professional accreditation you need to make a mark in your chosen field. We help you to convince employers that you have what it takes to make a positive difference.
Our flexible postgraduate courses provide specialist training that will help you advance your career, deepen your expertise in a particular field, or completely change career direction - all while managing work, family and life commitments.
Why choose us?
Our campuses are located at Docklands and Stratford, embedding us in the heart of London's most energetic and rapidly changing district with new businesses - from independent start-ups to global corporations - entering the region every day. We're also connected to the capital's financial and business centre at Canary Wharf, giving you the opportunity to go on business trips, seek placements and network with business leaders from around the world.
We have one of the largest Bloomberg training suites in the country, allowing you to have access to the same world-class financial trading facilities that professionals in the City of London use, so you can learn using the best resources available.
Engage with the Knowledge Dock which houses growing businesses and organises a range of events and activities for small businesses and the wider East London community, providing placement and internship opportunities. Our Tax and Accountancy clinic provides free advice to businesses allowing you to gain practical industry skills.
Our bespoke and modern campus facilities are complete with extensive 24-hour library access, ultra-modern teaching hubs, tiered lecture theatres, seminar rooms, cafes and shops. To ensure our students get the best possible support, we've opened brand-new £3.1 million Student Support Hubs.
These contain centralised help desks as well as comfortable areas to relax and socialise. The help desks provide a 'one-stop shop' for every possible need, from course-related enquiries to personal issues such as health and money matters.
What we're researching
Study of States, Markets and People (STAMP) is a major inter-disciplinary initiative in the School of Business & Law whose primary focus is the study of global and European political economy and the forms of governance and regulation required to address socio-economic/financial issues and geo-political conflicts and crises.
Having long studied the intensification of banking and financial crisis and the public policies of neo-liberalism and ordoliberalism resulting in many workshops and publications , STAMP's new research projects are now building new research capacity and infrastructure on five main axes:
- The impact of COVID-19 on local and global economic sectors, led by Dr. Francis B. Frimpong
- Technology transfer in the UK's tertiary sector in the context of UK-China interaction, a research conducted by STAMP Fellow, Prof Benzhao Yang of Northwestern Polytechnic University (China)
- The global economic and geopolitical antagonism between the USA and China, a project completed and turned into a monograph co-authored by Dr Shampa Roy-Mukherjee, Prof Vassilis K. Fouskas, Dr Qingan (Angus) Huang and Dr Ejike Udeogu (to be published by Palgrave in October 2020)
- A pilot project on the issue of "brain drain" in Bosnia & Herzegovina, examining outward youth migration in the volatile Republic of SRPSKA
- The impact of the crisis of globalisation on the transition economies of western Balkans, a collection of papers edited and peer-reviewed by Dr Shampa Roy Mukherjee and Prof Jovo Ateljevic (University of Banja Luka, BiH) for the Journal of Balkan and Near Eastern Studies (JBNES, Routledge-Taylor & Francis, 8 issues a year since 1998) - the collection will appear in print in JBNES, v.23, n.1, January 2021.
STAMP researchers are also involved in research programmes related to the examination of the "gig economy" in the UK and its impact on well-being and healthy ageing.
Our courses are highly professional degrees designed to give you the best start to your career. Accredited by a huge number of professional organisations, we incorporate a wide variety of employability-focused activities into our courses; from workshops and guest lectures, to field trips and practical assessments.
Our degrees are ideal for a job in the corporate world in roles such as advertising, accountancy, banking, insurance, management consultancy, human resources, financial accountancy, management, data analysis, stockbroking, and auditing. Your degree could also be a stepping-stone to a magnitude of degrees from communications, to digital media and public relations. Many of our students also start their own business. If you're an ambitious entrepreneur, you can use our Knowledge Dock business incubation space to get started.
Our postgraduate degrees are highly specialist, professional courses that will enable you to take a step up in your finance, accountancy or management career. Our graduates have gone on to work for companies such as Nomura, IAG Cargo, Macquarie, HSBC, Barclays, Wells Fargo and Metro Bank.
At UEL, you'll have access to:
- Employability skills training such as interview techniques and CV writing.
- Career Assessment, giving you the opportunity to learn about yourself and Career Coach will help you to discover career suggestions based on your interests.
- UEL Skills Academy, where external professionals deliver sessions on the competencies most prized by graduate employers.
- Internships, placements and volunteering opportunities from our work placements team.
- Professional mentoring scheme, matching students with staff from major companies.
- Networking opportunities and annual careers fair.
- Support with setting up your own business.
Find out more about our staff by visiting our School of Business and Law.
Our location in one of Europe's largest regeneration areas and our extensive links to local employers will also give you access to fantastic internships and placements. From heavy industry to high-tech, health and social care to the arts, there are so many opportunities right on our doorstep.
Our online Career Coach shows you the different career paths that your chosen subject area can lead you to. It gives you information on specific careers, job roles, potential wages and available jobs in the sector. You can also take a quick quiz to find a career to match your personality type!