Search for courses or information

hero image

Undergraduate Fees and Funding

Tuition fees

A smart and affordable investment

Every UK university charges tuition fees. All students are eligible for a tuition fee loan so they are able to study now and pay it back later. It means you won’t have to pay any fees up front and you won't start paying the fees back until you’re earning a reasonable income – currently set at over £21,000.

  • No upfront fees.
  • You only pay back your loan once you start work and earn more than £21,000 per year.
  • Graduates on average earn £12,000 per year more than non-graduates over their working lives.

In addition to the government funding available, UEL provides all new undergraduate students with a free Samsung tablet loaded with all your core textbooks as e-books. 

You'll also have the opportunity to apply for our wide range of scholarships and bursaries. We award over £2 million annually via these schemes, so it is definitely worth submitting an application.

Home/EU Tuition Fees 2017/18 

The tuition fees for new UK/EU students starting in 2017 are typically:

  • Full-time: £9,250 per year
  • Part-time: £2,310 per 30 credit module
  • Placement year: £1,000 per year

Please note that tuition fees for some courses may vary, please see individual course pages for specific information. Browse our undergraduate course list.

Undergraduate tuition fees are regulated by the UK government, our 2017/18 Access Agreement sets out full details of our commitments.

Further information about UEL's policy can be found on our Tuition Fee Policy page.

Please visit our fee assessment page and you can read our FAQ's for more information.

Government loans and grants

    As a UK/EU student studying either full-time or part-time, you can apply for a government tuition fee loan from Student Finance England to cover the cost of your tuition fees.

    The money is paid directly to the University of East London on your behalf. It means that you don’t have to pay tuition fees upfront before you begin your university education.

    If you’re a part-time student, you must be studying at an intensity of at least 25 per cent of what you’d be studying on an equivalent full-time course to be eligible for a tuition fee loan.

    To qualify for student finance, including tuition fee loans, you have to meet certain residence requirements. For most people, this means you must be living in England on the first day of your course, or have been living in the UK for the three years beforehand, and do not have any restrictions on your stay in the UK.

    There are other ways you can meet the requirements. For example, you may be eligible if you’re a refugee living in the UK. Please refer to the Student Finance England website for more information.

    In most cases you'll only be eligible for a finance loan if you're doing your first higher education qualification, or are topping up a lower-level higher education qualification. This usually means financial help for the length of your course. 

    The tuition fee loan available will reflect the amount the University of East London charges for your chosen course. For example, if your part-time tuition fees are £5,500, the maximum tuition fee loan available will be £5,500. If your full-time fees are £9,250 the maximum tuition fee loan available will be £9,250.

    The loans are not means tested, so if you’re an eligible student you will be able to apply for the maximum amount regardless of your household income.

    You can apply for a tuition fee loan directly from Student Finance England.

    Tuition fee loan

    You only start repaying your tuition fee loan once you have graduated, or left your course, and are earning more than £21,000 per year. Repayments will be nine per cent of the amount earned above £21,000 and will usually begin in the April after you graduate or leave your course. 

    Interest will be added at a rate equal to inflation plus three per cent from the time you take out your loan until the date when repayment is due. From then on, the interest rate will vary according to your earnings.

    If you’re earning £21,000 or less, the interest rate will reduce to reflect the rate of inflation. If you’re earning more than £21,000, there’ll also be a rate of interest added above the rate of inflation. The maximum rate of interest will remain at the rate of inflation plus three per cent if you’re earning £41,000 or above.

    HM Revenue and Customs collect the repayments. Either your employer will take your payments directly from your salary or, if you’re self-employed, HM Revenue and Customs will collect the repayments through the tax self-assessment system.

    If you earn less than £21,000 per year or stop working at any point, you won’t have to make repayments during this period. If any of your loan is left unpaid after 30 years, it is written off.

    For examples of repayments please refer to the below table:

    Annual salary    Monthly repayment
    £18,000            Nil
    £21,000            £7.50
    £25,000            £30.00 
    £30,000          £67.50 
    £35,000              £105.00 
    £40,000     £142.50 
    £45,000     £180.00

    Repaying your tuition fees

    All UK full-time students who study on campus can apply for a maintenance loan to help towards living costs. The amount you can borrow is dependent on your household income and where you live and study. If you live and study in London, you will receive a higher amount. 

    If you choose to study at the University of East London and live away from home, the maximum maintenance loan you may be able to receive is:

    Students on welfare benefits     Up to £11,671
    Students not on benefits     Up to £10,702

    This is paid directly to you in three instalments over the year. You repay this in the same way as your tuition fee loan, i.e. when you finish your course and are earning more than £21,000 per year.

    For more information about how to apply for tuition fee loans and maintenance loans please see the Student Finance England website. 

    Help towards your living costs


    Additional Government grants and allowances

    As a higher education, full or part-time student living in England, you can apply for Disabled Students Allowance (DSA) if you have a disability. This includes mental health conditions or specific learning difficulties such as dyslexia.

    You must meet the definition of disability under the Equality Act 2010. The support you receive depends on your individual needs and not on your income.

    You can get help with the costs of specialist equipment (up to £5,212 for the whole course), non-medical helpers (up to £20,725 a year for full-time students and £15,543 for part-time), extra travel costs due to your disability and a range of other disability-related costs of studying. Postgraduates can get a single allowance of up to £10,362 per year.

    For more information and details of how to apply, please see the DSA webpage.

    Care leavers who are under 25 and following a full-time programme of undergraduate study are eligible for a grant of £2,000 from their local authority. In addition, local authorities may make a contribution to postgraduate study. Care leaver students should contact their local authority for further details.

    You can find the contact details for your local authority by visiting your local council website.

    If you’re a full-time UK student with an adult who is financially dependent on you, you may be eligible for an adult dependent's grant of up to £2,757. The grant is means-tested on household income and is non-repayable.

    This is available for UK full-time students only. If you need childcare during your studies, you may be eligible for a childcare grant. The grant is means-tested and could provide up to 85 per cent of your childcare costs.

    The maximum grant available is £155.24 per week for one child or £266.15 per week for two or more children, and is non-repayable. You may also be eligible to receive a Parents' Learning Allowance to help with additional costs you may incur during your study because you have children. This may be up to £1,573 per year. Again, the actual amount will depend on your household income.

    For more information and details of how to apply, visit the Student Finance England website.

    National Health Service (NHS) courses are funded differently to all other higher education courses. NHS students don’t have to pay fees because the NHS covers the cost of them.

    All eligible NHS students receive a non-repayable, non-means-tested grant of £1,000 a year. Students can also apply for a means-tested, non-repayable bursary. The amount you receive depends on your household income, the length of your course and where you are living while studying, e.g. living with your parents or living away from home.

    You can also apply to Student Finance England for a reduced-rate student loan. There are two rates of loan available. You will recieve a slightly higher loan if you live away from home and a lower loan if you live with your parents while you study.

    For more information and details of how to apply, visit the NHS student grants website.

    Please note: European Union students are eligible to have their course fees paid, but are not usually eligible for the bursaries or grants.

    If you’re a social work student you can apply for the funding outlined in the NHS students section. However, you may also be entitled to a social work bursary from the NHS in Year 2 and Year 3 of the BA (Hons) Social Work course. 

    You can find more information about the social work bursary and details of how to apply on the NHS website.


    External financial aid

    Get help from outside organisations

    There are a number of external organisations that offer financial help to students. Please see the below list to view additional support options. Alternatively, you can visit the Scholarship Search website.

    Please note that the University of East London is not responsible for the content of these external sites and is not associated in any way with the funding schemes and their application processes.

    Family Action Grants
    The Student Disability Association Fund
    Sir John Cass’s Foundation
    The Leverhulme Trade Charities Trust
    The Newby Trust
    Walcot Foundation
    Wellcome Trust

    University of East London Access Agreements

    All publicly-funded providers of higher education in England that wish to charge tuition fees above the basic level have to submit an Access Agreement to the Office for Fair Access (OFFA) for approval. You can find UEL’s on our Access Agreements page.