prestigious placementsWe have a great track record in helping students find work placements with major companies such as Taylor Woodrow and Morgan Sindall, and on major projects such as Crossrail.
Superb connectionsWe have excellent industry connections. We’re accredited by the Joint Board of Moderators, which includes the Institution of Civil Engineers, Institution of Structural Engineers, the Chartered Institution of Highways & Transportation and the Institute of Highway Engineers.
regular site visitsWe’re one of only a handful of universities who offer a programme of weekly site visits to major construction projects.
Our courses give you the fundamentals to pursue a wide range of careers, covering everything from land surveying and mapping to logistics and site planning.
You’ll learn in some of the best teaching laboratories in London, where you’ll use the latest equipment. Our teaching staff can also draw on plenty of professional experience to back up their academic credentials.
You’ll also have plenty of opportunities to work and learn off campus. Our Docklands campus is in a fantastic location at the heart of a massive regeneration area.
Our courses include ‘hands-on’ field trips in both engineering surveying and construction logistics, where student teams solve real-life and simulated problems.
See our courses.
- FdSc Civil Engineering and Construction Management
- BSc Construction Management
- BSc Surveying and mapping science
- BSc Quantity surveying and commercial management
- MSc Construction Engineering Management
- MSc Construction Engineering Management with placement
Classes cover a wide range of different avenues you can follow within the surveying industry, from the bread-and-butter work of topographic to digital 3D mapping, to legal and even offshore surveying.Carmen Tong , BSc (Hons) Surveying and Mapping Sciences graduate
We have dedicated laboratory facilities for engineering, computing and architecture housed in new, purpose-built labs at our Docklands Campus. These provide an ideal environment for students to test theories and master practical skills. Our facilities include:
- fully compliant professional qualifications laboratory
- network teaching laboratory
- specialist surveying laboratories
- architecture and visual arts centre - a purpose-built, creative space
- microprocessors laboratory
- power laboratory
While Surveying and Construction are practical, hands-on subjects, UEL staff have wide-ranging research interests that seek to develop their areas of expertise. Many have distinguished careers in surveying and construction to reinforce their academic credentials.
Our graduates have gone on to work on hugely exciting projects in London and around the world, including The Shard, TFL, Ordnance Survey and Crossrail.
Our dedicated Centre for Student Success works closely with employers to provide up-to-date information about the skills and experience they’re looking for. They will support you during your studies and after you graduate.
At UEL, you’ll have access to:
- Employability skills training such as interview techniques and CV writing.
- Gradscore, a groundbreaking electronic tool that allows you to complete a mock application and find out if you’d be shortlisted for interview. It has been created exclusively for UEL with help from leading employers and employability experts.
- UEL Skills Academy, where external professionals deliver sessions on the competencies most prized by graduate employers.
- Internships, placements and volunteering opportunities from our work placements team.
- Professional mentoring scheme, matching students with staff from major companies.
- Networking opportunities and annual careers fair.
- Support with setting up your own business.
Our online Career Coach shows you the different career paths that your chosen subject area can lead you to. It gives you information on specific careers, job roles, potential wages and available jobs in the sector. You can also take a quick quiz to find a career to match your personality type!