Search for courses or information

Education Abroad

Spending time abroad during your degree at UEL boosts your CV, widens your horizons and opens your mind. We have four Education Abroad schemes, from short trips with Going Global to studying abroad at a partner for a full year. Explore this page and discover how you can shape the world.


The 2020/21 UEL study abroad programme has been temporarily suspended due to the current global circumstances involving the COVID-19 pandemic.

We are working hard to build opportunities for our students and will keep you updated.

Discover the world

What is Study Abroad?

Interested in international opportunities? Want to enhance your CV and employability? Want to travel the world, meet people from all over and have the experience of a lifetime? Look no further! Right here at UEL, our students have the opportunity to take a part of their degree abroad, go on short-term study trips, or even spend a year on a culturally immersive experience at one of our partner universities. 

Which programmes are available?

Interested in spending some time abroad? Find a short description of the programmes we offer on the menu on the right, and download our Study Abroad Guide below to find out everything you need to know!

You can find more information about the countries we have partner institutions in and which course they offer, by scrolling down.

What if I want to find out more?

Please contact for details on workshops taking place for support around applications.

Study abroad

You could study abroad for a term or an academic year with an International Exchange in a choice of five continents. If that doesn’t tickle your fancy, how about a term or a year in Europe, with funding from the Erasmus+ scheme?

Short-term schemes

If you want to go abroad but can’t stay for a full term or year - no problem. Take part in one of our short-term schemes like Going Global, which enables students to participate in part-funded study-related visits overseas.

Carly Forsaith

School of Education, Studied abroad at James Cook University, Australia

Should you do it? Absolutely. Why? Quite simply because your everyday life will shift from the ordinary to the extraordinary. Things you never thought you would be able to do suddenly become accessible.  You will meet people who live a life or who have done things that are different to anything you’ve ever experienced, and have incredible stories to tell. You will grow, and you will make friends for life.


Got a question about our international schemes? Hopefully you'll find the answer below. If not, please get in touch with us at

    As a UEL student, you have plenty of opportunities to add value to your degree and develop as a person by going international.  You’ll still get all the support you’d expect as a UEL student, but with the experience of interacting with a totally different environment.  Whether you want to immerse yourself in a full-year abroad or travel with friends on a short-term trip part-funded by UEL, the choice is yours.

UEL has a range of different schemes to enable you to go international, whether in Europe or outside of Europe; from a weekend away to a full academic year:

Erasmus+ - Erasmus+ is the programme funded by the European Commission that encourages student mobility across Europe. Study for a term or a year at one of our European partners and receive a grant of around 280EUR per month.

International Exchange - Study for either a semester or a full academic year at any one of our international exchange partners, with choices spread over 5 continents.

Going Global – Take part in a short, study-related trip anywhere in the world. Make a proposal for a project you’d like to complete overseas, and receive the support of your tutors and part-funding from UEL. Find out more here.

Study Abroad Placement Year - No Study Abroad partners on your course? Spend a year at one of our partners 'just for fun'. You won't bring back credits but you will gain the experience of a lifetime. Some options include gaining professional experience in a hotel-school in Brazil or enjoying a culturally immersive experience in South Korea. 

Internationalising your degree adds huge value to your studies, and to you as a person. It can be a truly transformative experience. Prove your adaptability and your openness to new cultures, to new education systems, and to new surroundings by taking part in one of our Study Abroad schemes.

EMPLOYABILITY: The Higher Education Funding Council for England (HEFCE) report that students who study abroad will benefit from an enhanced CV as they enter the job market, earn higher salaries as a result. Studying abroad proves your ability to work in a fast-changing and truly global world.

You will grow in confidence – 76% of students who studied abroad think that having that international experience gives them the edge when applying for a job. Whether it does or not is irrelevant – you are equipped with that confidence and belief in your own ability. What is proven is that according to the UK Higher Education International Unit, people who study abroad can earn up to £3000 more per year after they graduate than those who don’t.

ACADEMIC BENEFITS: Students who study abroad get higher grades than those who don’t – 87% of study abroad graduates get a 2:1 and higher, compared with only 69% of non-Erasmus+ graduates. And they’ve seen the world whilst achieving these results!

PERSONAL DEVELOPMENT: Learn to become self-reliant, adapt to new environments, make new friends from all over the world, and develop a strong sense of cultural awareness. Plus – this is an amazing opportunity to travel! HEFCE say that “on return the students are more confident, perform better at job interviews, are used to dealing with different people, and learn to adapt to different situations.”

Usually, to apply to study abroad, you must be...

- An undergraduate of UEL.

- A Home/EU/International student - it doesn't matter where you are from, you can still study abroad.

- A Level 4 student, going in to Level 5 in your next academic year.

- A full-time, on-campus student.

...however, there are some exceptions - check with your programme leader.

Additionally, students must have a minimum 2:1 average from Level 4 to be able to study abroad during Level 5.

It depends on the programme:

- Study Abroad: Most students go abroad in their second year (Level 5), before retuning to UEL to complete their degree. However, some exceptions apply. Check with your programme leader if you aren't sure.

- Going Global: There are two rounds of applications per year - check this page for deadlines. 

- Study Abroad Placement Year: Students can go on a sandwich year in between Level 4 and 5 or in between Level 5 and 6.

Most people study abroad in Level 5 or during a placement year between Level 5 and 6 (though there are some exceptions). How your grades are affected depends on what you study. In some cases, the credits you take whilst abroad will transfer back to UEL, but your grades will not.    

This means that the grades you earn whilst abroad will not count towards your final degree classification, and only the grades you earn whilst studying in England will count. But the credits you take will count, meaning that you will still graduate on time as long as you didn't go abroad during your additional placement year. Your transcript will reflect that you studied abroad in your second year.

Students in the Performing Arts and International Development will be assessed whilst abroad, and their grades will count towards their degree.

For most other students, grades earned abroad will not count towards their final degree classification.

If you are doing a Study Abroad Placement Year, you will not earn credits for your time spent abroad. This is an 'in-between' year, meaning when you come back you will pick up where you left off. 

    We are only partnered to universities whose academic courses match or complement UEL’s courses. This means that you can return without having to add time to your degree.  However, some students choose to take a sandwich year, which adds a year to your degree but has a substantially lower tuition fee (just £1,350 for the year). This is a great chance to get some work experience, study something a little different and live abroad for a year.

    Of course, our short-term programmes do not add time to your degree, as they take place outside of term-time.

    Study Abroad Placement Years add a year onto the length of your degree. This has implications with regards to your Student Finance. Please contact us for more details. 

Use this website to explore your options, then set up a meeting with the Study Abroad team (do let your programme leader know you are looking into this option, as they may be able to offer some insight since each degree programme is different). We will go through the procedure with you and answer any questions you may have. 

Applications to Study Abroad in term 2 of 2018/19 close on the 12th November 2018 (8am).

Going Global applications for Round 1 close on the 26th November 2018 (8am)

If successful, the Study Abroad Coordinator will nominate you to your chosen destination. At this point, they would ask you to apply to them, before helping you make visa and accommodation arrangements.

    Studying abroad doesn’t have to be expensive. You will pay your tuition fees to UEL as normal if you go away for one term. If you go away for a full year, full-time home/EU students will pay just £1,350 in tuition fees, and international students will pay 50% of their regular tuition fee – a significant reduction.  You will receive any student finance you normally receive, and the Student Loans Company also offer a Travel Grant. 

    Costs to think about include travel fees, visa fees, accommodation in the host country and potentially a meal plan (this is mandatory at some US universities, but not all). These costs are not insignificant: a visa to the USA will cost around £250 for example, while flights to Australia may cost around £600-£900.
    Please see below for information on financial support.

    With our Going Global scheme, students receive a bursary. 
    There is some financial support available to students studying abroad, from various sources. 
    There is a means-tested Travel Grant available through Student Finance England. This covers reasonable costs of travel expenses during the academic year, to include compulsory medical insurance and visa costs. The first £303 of travel costs are disregarded so you will receive your travel/visa costs minus £303.  Read more information.
    Student Finance England will send you a Course Abroad Form and a Reimbursement of Travel Expenses 2015-16 form when you tell them you will be studying abroad. Students who receive a UEL bursary may also be entitled to spend this on studying abroad.
    Students studying in Europe will automatically receive an Erasmus+ student mobility grant, which is worth between €280-€350 per month you are abroad, depending on where you go. Find out more about Erasmus+ here.

This depends on where you go! This is because visa requirements and allowances are different depending on the country you enter. Check with the website of the embassy of the country where you would like to study.

    Every UEL student who studies abroad is entitled to UEL’s own comprehensive health insurance cover, free of charge. Find out more by heading to the intranet. However, some of our partner universities ask that you subscribe to their insurance - this ensures full cover, and is one of the costs that qualifies for reimbursement from Student Finance (see 'Is any financial support available?').
    All students going abroad should make an appointment with their GP to check health requirements. Read the list of vaccinations recommended for each country.

You may need to apply for a visa if you are studying abroad outside of Europe. The Study Abroad team will support your application and help with the steps required to do this.

You may also be interested in