- A collection of asylum policy guidance used by UK Visas and Immigration to make decisions on asylum applications. UK Government.
Asylum policy guidance
- Advice after you get refugee status. Citizens Advice. UK.
- Afghan citizens' resettlement scheme, ACRS. UK Visas & Immigration and Home Office. (2021). UK Government.
- Afghan relocations and assistance policy. Ministry of Defence. (2021). UK Government.
- Afghan relocation and assistance: funding instruction. UK Visas & Immigration. (2021). UK Government.
Funding instruction for local authorities in the support of the United Kingdom's Afghan Locally Engaged Staff Ex Gratia and Afghan Relocation and Assistance Schemes.
- Application for asylum support: form ASF1: form for destitute asylum applicants and failed asylum seekers to apply for support. UK Government.
- Asylum claims in detention. Guidance on asylum claims in detention. UK Government.
This tells staff how to manage individuals in detention who have claimed asylum and processing individuals into detention following an asylum claim.
Asylum claims in detention
Get help by phone if you're an asylum applicant or refugee and you need advice about the asylum process or adapting to life in the UK. UK Government.
You must register and have a screening at an asylum intake unit if you're in the UK and want to claim asylum. You should telephone to make an appointment.
You will have your asylum screening at the UK border if you claim asylum as soon as you arrive in the UK.
Asylum Intake Unit
Asylum seekers and their family may be entitled to support including housing, money, free state school and health care from the National Health Service (NHS) to help them while waiting to find out if they will be given asylum. UK Government.
- Asylum support: section 4(2) policy & process. Home Office (2018). UK Government.
Section 42 policy
- Best practice guide to asylum and human rights appeals. Henderson, M., Moffatt, R., & Pickup, A. (2021 Edition). Electronic Immigration Network, EIN.
- Brief guide to asylum: Refugee Council information. (2019). Refugee Council.
Brief guide to asylum
- Conducting asylum interviews: asylum policy guidance on asylum interviews. UK Government.
Conducting asylum interviews
- Detention guidelines: guidelines on the applicable criteria and standards relating to the detention of asylum seekers and alternatives to detention. The United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees, UNHCR, (2012). Available in a number of languages.
- The 'Dublin' regulation and family unity, Policy Brieﬁng. Refugee Council (2019).
- Dublin III Regulation: transferring asylum claimants into and out of the UK where responsibility for examining an asylum claim lies with the UK or with another EU Member State or Associated State. UK Visas & Immigration. (2017; updated 2020). UK Government.
Dublin III Regulation
- EU-Turkey Agreement Failing Refugee Women and Girls. Women's Refugee Commission, (2016).
- Falling through the cracks: refugee women and girls in Germany and Sweden. Women's Refugee Commission, (2016).
- Family cases: asylum policy guidance on processing family cases. UK Government.
- Family reunion guidance: for refugees and those with humanitarian protection. Home Office, UK Government.
- Female Genital Mutilation, FGM. Duty for health and social care professionals and teachers to report female genital mutilation, FGM, to the police. Home Office (2016). UK Government.
Fact sheet on mandatory reporting of female genital mutilation, with translations in a number of languages, for communities on mandatory reporting of female genital mutilation.
- Female Genital Mutilation, FGM. Mandatory reporting of female genital mutilation: procedural information. Guidance. Department for Education & Home Office. (2020). UK Government.
The guidance gives relevant professionals and the police an understanding of the female genital mutilation (FGM) mandatory reporting duty.
- Female refugees and asylum seekers: the issue of integration. Policy Department for Citizens' Rights and Constitutional Affairs, European Parliament, European Union, (2016).
- FGM international data, UNICEF (2020).
Female genital mutilation
- Forced Migration Review Thematic listings: The link below provides a selection of thematic listing and FMR articles (and full issues) focusing on a specific topic including Statelessness, the Rohingya, Children on the Move, Trafficking and Smuggling of People, Protection at Sea, Youth, Health, Displacement, etc. in English, Arabic, French and Spanish.
- Frequently asked questions for asylum seekers and refugees in the UK. UNHCR UK.
- Funding instruction on UK resettlement programmes. Collection. UK Visas and Immigration. (2021). UK Government.
Information for local authorities on the funding instruction on UK resettlement programmes for refugees from Syria and the MENA (Middle East and North Africa) region.
- Gender issues in asylum claims: asylum policy guidance on claims involving gender identity issues, UK Government.
- Guides to asylum. (May 2021). Refugee Council.
- Guidelines on Reunification of Refugee Families. UNHCR (1983).
- Guidance for Employers: employing refugees - the documents required as evidence of entitlement to work in the UK. Equality & Human Rights Commission & The Refugee Council (2014).
- Humanitarian protection: asylum policy guidance on humanitarian protection. UK Government.
Guidance on Humanitarian Protection
- Human trafficking: migrant health guide. Advice and guidance on the health needs of migrant patients for healthcare practitioners. Public Health England. (2017; updated 2020). UK Government.
Human Trafficking: Migrant Health Guide
- The Impact of Brexit on Children and Families Crossing Borders. A fact sheet for professionals protecting children. Children & Families Across the Borders, CFAB. (2019).
- Information booklet for asylum applications. UK Visas and Immigration. (2021). UK Government.
Information booklet for those who have registered, or are considering registering, an asylum application in the United Kingdom.
- Integration loans: asylum policy guidance on integration loans. UK Visas & Immigration. UK Government.
Refugee integration loan
Integration loans policy guidance process
- Invisible suffering: Prolonged and systematic detention of migrants and asylum seekers in substandard conditions in Greece, (2014). Médecins Sans Frontières, (MSF).
- Legal framework and standards relating to the detention of refugees, asylum seekers and migrants: a guide. The International Detention Coalition, IDC, (2011).
- LGBTI persons in immigration detention: International Detention Coalition, IDC, position paper, (2016).
- NGO monitoring of immigration detention: tips, examples and positive practices. Outcomes of workshop for European NGOs Brussels. Flemish Refugee Action and International Detention Coalition, (2015).
- Our Human Rights Act: refugees and people seeking asylum. The British Institute of Human Rights (2016). BIHR briefing on the HRA.
- Permission to work: asylum policy guidance on permission to work for asylum applicants. UK Government.
Guidance on Permission to Work for asylum applicants
- The Poverty Barrier: the right to rehabilitation for survivors of torture in the UK. Pettitt, J. (2013). Research Report, Freedom from Torture. Medical Foundation for the Care of Victims of Torture.
- Protecting refugees in the UK. UNHCR, UK.
UNHCR refugee website
UNHCR education website
- Refugee Action's Asylum Guides. Refugee Action. UK.
Asylum Guides is a programme developed by Refugee Action and aims to support organisations working with asylum seekers and asylum seekers themselves in their asylum journey. Resources available are in a number of languages in video and information sheet format and for women, children and young people who have made a claim for asylum in the UK to understand the asylum process and their rights.
- Research report 52 - refugees and asylum seekers: a review from an equality and human rights perspective. Aspinall, P., & Watters, C. (2010). Equality & Human Rights Commission & the University of Kent.
Research Report 52
- Revocation of refugee status: asylum policy guidance on cancelling, ceasing and revoking a person's refugee status. UK Government.
Revocation of refugee status
- The Right to Remain Toolkit. This toolkit is a guide to the UK immigration and asylum system. It gives an overview of the legal system and procedures, with detailed information on rights and options at key stages, and actions you can take in support of your claim, or to help someone else.
See below YouTube presentations introducing Right to Remain Toolkit in a number of languages, published by Right to Remain, 2015.
Farsi - فارسی
Arabic – العربية
French - français
Spanish - Español
- There are alternatives: a handbook for preventing unnecessary immigration detention (revised edition). International Detention Coalition, IDC, (2015).
- Towards Integration: The Syrian Vulnerable Persons Resettlement Scheme in the United Kingdom. UNHCR. (2017).
- UK refugee resettlement: policy guidance. Home Office. (2021). UK Government.
- UK resettlement programmes: funding instruction 2021 to 2022. Guidance. UK Visas and Immigration. (2021). UK Government.
Funding instruction for local authorities in support of the United Kingdom's resettlement schemes.
UK resettlement programmes: funding instruction 2021 to 2022
- UNHCR Afghanistan - Help for refugees & asylum seekers.
- UNHCR, Information for Refugees, Asylum Seekers & Stateless People.
UNHCR, the UN Refugee Agency, created this website for refugees, asylum seekers and stateless people residing in a number of countries, their family members and people who assist them.
On this website you will find useful information and web links, including answers to queries including asylum application and process in the mentioned countries, where to get social, financial, travel, education and accommodation assistance, in a number of languages.
Information for Refugees, Asylum-seekers and Stateless People | UNHCR
Is your country not listed above?
Please visit UNHCR's frequently asked questions (FAQ), where you can find information about asylum, rights of refugees and asylum-seekers, education, reporting & complaints and contact details of your nearest UNHCR office.
UNHCR HELP FAQ - Help for refugees and asylum seekers
- Vulnerability Screening Tool - identifying and addressing vulnerability: a tool for asylum and migration systems. United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees, UNHCR, International Detention Coalition, IDC, with the support of the Oak Foundation (2016).
Vulnerability Screening Tool