Search for courses or information

European & EEA students 

Living, working and studying in the UK

Please find below some helpful information for European and EEA/Swiss national students who wish to study in the UK

Brexit Information: Information for EU students travelling over the BREXIT period in the event of a ‘no-deal’.

The UK is scheduled to leave the European Union (EU) on 29 March 2019. It is not yet known if the UK will leave having secured a deal with the EU or whether it will be a 'no deal' BEXIT.

In the event of a 'no deal' BREXIT the government have made it clear, in the 'Citizens' in the UK and UK nationals in the EU' Policy paper (section 4) that EU nationals residing in the UK prior to 29 March 2019 will be permitted to remain in the UK:

'To remove any ambiguity about their futures, the UK Government wants to reassure EU citizens and their family members living in the UK that they are welcome to stay in the UK in the unlikely event of a 'no deal' scenario.......... EU citizens and their family member's resident in the UK by 29 March 2019 will be able to stay and carry on with their lives broadly as now. They will continue to be able to work, study and access benefits and services in the UK on the same basis after we exit EU as they do now'

In the event of a 'no deal' BREXIT there is likely to be significant disruption. This may affect travel to and from the UK.

If you are an EU national travelling back to the UK after 29 March 2019 and you have not been granted EU settlement, it is advised that you request a Status Letter from the Student HUB prior to travelling so you are able to evidence that you have been residing in the UK before 29 March 2019. 

The United Kingdom Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA) provide updates and information on BREXIT including any government announcements

There is a Personal Allowance for workers where income is not taxed until the PA exceeded. International students and their dependants who work will be liable to pay income tax if they earn over the threshold of over approx £221 a week. This is based on the assumption that you will earn over £11,500 in a tax year (which starts and ends in April each year). The tax rates for 2017/18 are:
  • No tax (Personal Allowance - PA) - 0% on earnings below £11,500
  • Basic rate - 20% on earnings above the PA and up to £33,500
  • Higher rate - 40% on earnings over £35,501 but below £150,000
  • Additional rate - 45% for earnings over £150,000

More information on UK tax rates, changes and updates can be found at the HM Revenues & Customs website.

If you have paid tax and have stopped working, paid tax but not earned more than the Personal Allowance, or paid more tax than you were liable for, you can claim tax back, by completing the P50 form available from HM Revenues & Customs.

Remember: The fiscal (tax) year runs from beginning of April to beginning of April every year. You should therefore base your yearly calculations based on the fiscal year and not the calendar year.

There are three rates of minimum wage according to age. You should not be paid at any rate lower than those quoted below, as this is a legal requirement on employers. (correct as at April 2015)
  • Over 25 rate: £7.50 per hour (25 years old and over)
  • Main rate: £7.05 per hour (21 to 24 years and over)
  • Development rate: £5.60 per hour (18 – 20 year olds)
  • Young workers rate: £4.05 per hour (for workers under 18 who are above school leaving age)
  • Apprentice rate: £3.50

Find out more about National Minimum Wage.

National Minimum Wage Helpline 0845 6000 678