The Pre-sessional Academic English Programme not only helps undergraduate and postgraduate applicants reach the desired level of English. At UEL it's much more than a standard English programme; it's an intensive training programme organised around academic projects that prepares you for excellence.
excellent location30 minutes by train from our campuses to central London - or nine minutes from Stratford by high-speed rail
diverseOver 120 nationalities have come to study at UEL
Live on campusOur stunning riverside accommodation cost is 45% below the London average
What is it about?
How to apply
• You must complete the Pre-sessional Application Form, (Click here for Guidance Notes) and return it to us by email or by post.
• When we have processed your application we will send you details of the Pre-sessional course that is best for you.
• Once you have accepted the offer you will need to pay your Pre-sessional course fees in full and complete the student reply form.
• When we get payment for your tuition fees, a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) outlining your unconditional place on the Pre-sessional English course will be issued. This will contain your unique CAS reference number, necessary for your student visa application if applicable. Full guidance can be found on our visa information page.
How to apply
Who is it for
Pre-sessional courses are for prospective students who would like to study on university courses at UEL or a UK university and need to improve their English language and study skills. The courses last 5, 10 or 15 weeks and are suitable for students with a conditional offer with UEL, and need to meet the English language conditions of the offer.
10 week- starting October 24- £2320
For entry onto main degree programmes starting September 2017
5 week- starting August 2 - £1160
10 week- starting June 26- £2320
15 week starting May 22-£3480
Who is it for
What you will learn
The Pre-sessional course closely mirrors what you will need to do on your main course and will include a mixture of lectures, seminars, one-to-one and independent study. The exact content depends on your strengths and weaknesses, but will cover the following areas:
• Developing research skills through library assignments
• Planning and structuring your writing
• Expanding grammar and vocabulary to academic standards
• Cultivating your independent voice through forming effective arguments, critical thinking and drawing conclusions from information
• Developing your listening skills through regular lectures, seminars and note taking
• Develop your ability to extract information by using content from lectures, seminars and readings in your writing
• Presentation skills
A typical week
The course is made up of 20 hours of contact time a week, classes run Monday to Friday with two hours in the morning and two hours in the afternoon each day. An important part of the course is a one-to-one weekly meeting between yourself and your personal tutor. This is a time when you can talk through individual concerns, assess the progress you are making and get individual help on any particular areas of difficulty.
What you will learn
Attendance and Assessment Regulations
To get the most out of the Pre-sessional programme you should come to every session. Attendance is measured each week and if it falls below acceptable levels then you may be withdrawn from your course and may not be eligible for a refund.
UEL has a legal duty to monitor and record the attendance of students on Tier 4 student visas. We are required to report students to UKVI who are withdrawn for not meeting our attendance requirements. For students on a student visa, withdrawal from your course will have significant impact on your immigration status in the UK.
At the end of each five week block you will be tested on your listening, speaking, reading and writing abilities, this will be followed by a progress report which will allow you to see areas that you are strong in and areas in which you need to do more work. A final course report is also written for the admissions tutors so they know what level each student has reached. All successful students receive a certificate of completion.
For further details, please contact us:
Tel: +44 (0)20 8223 2402/ 6253
What our students say
great learning experience
"I have learnt more in two months on this course than I have in 2 years of living in UK."
GREAT course design"Assignments and tutorials were well planned according to the needs of the students."
making you welcome
"Teachers are very friendly, efficient and helpful."