second in london
Our Architecture courses are ranked second in London (Guardian University Guide league table 2018).
We enjoy unconditional recognition from the Royal Institute of British Architects (RIBA) and the Architects Registration Board (ARB), giving exemption from Part 1 of their professional examinations.
perfect place to study
You’ll study in one of the biggest regeneration areas in Europe – perfect for placements and field trips to see how architects are applying theory to practice.
UEL has an international reputation in architecture, reflected in a string of awards and honours.
For example, two of our lecturers are part of an east London-based architecture collective that won the UK's most prestigious visual arts award - the 2015 Turner Prize.
Our students helped with their preliminary research, looking at imaginative ways of renovating run-down Victorian terraces in Liverpool and transforming the local living environment.
In 2014, one of our students won the international SOM/Royal Institute of British Architects (RIBA) undergraduate prize for the best project, another is the only student representative on the RIBA Council, and one of our students won the American Institute of Architects (AIA) travel scholarship.
Our students also achieve professional success. In 2013, three of our students were on the project team that won the RIBA Stirling Prize - Britain's biggest architecture accolade.
And our students engage with events nationally and internationally. In 2014, they exhibited as part of the Venice Biennale and the London Festival of Architecture
Our courses will set you on the path to becoming an architect, landscape architect or designer. Depending on your pathway, you can gain exemption from parts 1 and 2 of the ARB/RIBA professional examinations and the Landscape Institute.
You’ll learn in small classes with practising architects and designers in workshops and studios, and you’ll use professional quality equipment. You’ll also gain lots of hands-on experience working on real-life projects.
See our courses.
Kent Gin , BSc (Hons) Architecture graduate
The hands-on approach to architecture that UEL gave me provided key knowledge in the field of architecture that’s unique compared to anywhere else.
We have dedicated laboratory facilities for engineering, computing and architecture housed in new, purpose-built labs at our Docklands Campus. These provide an ideal environment for students to test theories and master practical skills. Our facilities include:
- fully compliant professional qualifications laboratory
- civil engineering laboratory
- computer studios to explore theoretical and virtual models of architecture
- network teaching laboratory
- specialist surveying laboratories
- architecture and visual arts centre - a purpose-built, creative space
- microprocessors laboratory
- power laboratory.
What we're researching
Our Architecture and Design courses develop practice and research to enhance our lives in relation to people and places. Our academic team teach at the highest level and maintain an enquiring, research-based approach.
As an undergraduate, you’ll be able to travel abroad each year to study places, their history, and the people who live in them. Our teaching balances a respect and understanding of the past and the present with an inspirational, creative and innovative stance towards the future.
‘Sustainability’ is on the lips of politicians, charities and big businesses around the world. How can societies thrive in the face of population growth, climate change and an increasing demand for natural resources?
Our researchers have advised on the development of a new capital city in India and the reconstruction of a historic palace in Santiago de Chile. We’ve also advised the London Mayor’s office and the London Legacy Development Corporation on the use of public space and worked with the US Green Building Council to develop new sustainability standards.
Our dedicated Centre for Student Success works closely with employers to provide up-to-date information about the skills and experience they’re looking for. They will support you during your studies and after you graduate.
At UEL, you’ll have access to:
- Employability skills training such as interview techniques and CV writing.
- Gradscore, a groundbreaking electronic tool that allows you to complete a mock application and find out if you’d be shortlisted for interview. It has been created exclusively for UEL with help from leading employers and employability experts.
- UEL Skills Academy, where external professionals deliver sessions on the competencies most prized by graduate employers.
- Internships, placements and volunteering opportunities from our work placements team.
- Professional mentoring scheme, matching students with staff from major companies.
- Networking opportunities and annual careers fair.
- Support with setting up your own business.