Dr Jaya Acharya Nepal
Senior Lecturer in Civil and Structural Engineering
Jaya Acharya Nepal (BSc(Eng) MSc PhD PGCert(Ed)) is a Senior Lecturer in Civil and Structural Engineering. She teaches Civil and Structural Engineering modules in both undergraduate and postgraduate level. Her area of research is mainly focused on performance assessment and optimal maintenance of deteriorating civil engineering structures.
Dr. Jaya Acharya Nepal is a Senior Lecturer in Civil and Structural Engineering within a School of Architecture, Computing and Engineering. Prior to UEL she was working as a Lecturer in Civil & Structural Engineering at University of Greenwich.
Jaya has worked as a Research Fellow in Flood Risk Management funded by Natural Environment Research Council and the Institution of Civil Engineers at University of Greenwich in collaboration with HR Wallingford. Jaya was awarded her PhD in Structural Engineering from the University of Greenwich fully funded by RAE Formulaic. Before joining the University of Greenwich, she has worked as a lecturer and design engineer responsible for analysis and design of civil engineering structures after completing her masters in Civil and Structural Engineering and Bachelor in Civil Engineering.
Jaya has a strong research background in various areas of civil engineering, including lifecycle performance analysis, stochastic deterioration modelling, time-dependent reliability analysis and risk-cost based maintenance optimization, structural health monitoring, advanced numerical modelling, innovative and smart infrastructure, stochastic deterioration modelling and flood-risk modelling. She developed novel methodologies for forecasting the performance deterioration of flood defence infrastructures, performance assessment of corrosion damaged reinforced concrete structures and time-dependent reliability analysis and optimised maintenance strategy of civil engineering infrastructure. She is the author/co-author of several peer-reviewed journal articles and conference papers. She frequently served as a peer reviewer for international conferences and journals.
· Durability and reliability of structures
· Stochastic deterioration modelling and reliability analysis
· Management and maintenance of aging civil engineering infrastructure
· Life cycle performance analysis and optimized maintenance strategy
· Computational fracture and damage mechanics
· Advanced numerical modelling and non-linear finite element analysis
· Structural health monitoring, inspection and repair techniques
· Non- destructive testing of civil engineering infrastructure.
· Sustainable design
- Chen HP and Nepal J. Analytical model for residual bond strength of corroded reinforcement in concrete structures. Journal of Engineering Mechanics, ASCE, 2015, 10.1061/(ASCE) EM.1943-7889.0000997, 04015079.
- Chen HP and Nepal J. Stochastic modelling and lifecycle performance assessment of bond strength of corroded reinforcement in concrete. Structural Engineering and Mechanics, 2015, 54(2): 319-336.
- Nepal J and Chen HP. Risk-based optimum repair planning of corroded reinforced concrete structures. Structural Monitoring and Maintenance, 2015, 2(2): 133-143.
- Nepal J and Chen HP. Assessment of concrete damage and strength degradation caused by reinforcement corrosion. Journal of Physics: Conference Series, 2015, 628(1).
- Nepal J, Chen HP and Alani AM. Analytical modelling of bond strength degradation due to reinforcement corrosion. Key Engineering Materials 2013, 569:1060-1067.
- Nepal J and Chen HP. Evaluation of residual strength of corrosion damaged reinforced concrete structures. In Life-Cycle of Structural Systems: Design, Assessment, Maintenance and Management, In eds. Hitoshi Furuta, Dan M. Frangopol, Mitsuyoshi Akiyama, Taylor & Francis Group, London, 2014.
Conferences (Proceedings / Presentations):
- Nepal J and Chen HP, Gouldby B and Simm J. Markov chain based stochastic deterioration modelling of repaired flood defence structures using evolutionary algorithm. 13th International Probabilistic Workshop (IPW2015), Liverpool, 2015.
- Nepal J and Chen HP, Gouldby B, Simm J and Tarrant O. State-based stochastic performance deterioration modelling of flood defence assets. 7th International Society for Structural Health Monitoring of Intelligent Infrastructure, Torino, Italy, 2015.
- Nepal J and Chen HP. Risk-based life cycle maintenance strategy of corrosion affected RC structures. 7th International Society for Structural Health Monitoring of Intelligent Infrastructure, Torino, Italy, 2015.
- Nepal J, Chen HP and Hills, C. Concrete and innovative materials. Medway Research festival, Kent, UK, 2014. (Poster presentation).
- Nepal J and Chen HP. Residual bond strength behaviour of corroded reinforcement in natural corrosive environment, Young Researchers Forum II: Construction materials, Institute of Concrete Technology, London, UK, 2014.
- Nepal J and Chen HP. Reliability based structural performance assessment of corrosion damaged RC structures. Young Researchers' Conference, Institution of Structural Engineers, London, UK, 2014.
- Nepal J and Chen HP. Evaluation of structural behaviour of corrosion damaged reinforced concrete bridges. International Conference on Structural fault & Repair, London, UK, 2014.
- Nepal J and Chen HP. Gamma process modelling for lifecycle performance assessment of corrosion affected concrete structures. World Congress on Advances in Civil, Environmental, and Materials Research, Busan, Korea, 2014.
- Nepal J and Chen HP. Time-dependent reliability assessment of corrosion affected reinforced concrete structures. 12th International Conference on Computational Structures Technology, Naples, Italy, 2014.
- Durability and reliability of structures
- Flood risk assessment
- Stochastic deterioration modelling and reliability analysis
- Management and maintenance of aging civil engineering infrastructure
- Life cycle performance analysis and optimized maintenance strategy
- Computational fracture and damage mechanics
- Advanced numerical modelling and non-linear finite element analysis
- Structural health monitoring, inspection and repair techniques
- Non- destructive testing of civil engineering infrastructure.
- Sustainable design