Senior Lecturer in Education Studies
International Centre for Public Pedagogy (ICPuP), University of East London
Silhouette Bushay is a Senior Lecturer in Education Studies at UEL's School of Education and Communities who has been working at the University of East London since 2014. She teaches across the Early Childhood and Education Studies subject area.
ED 5.04, Stratford Campus
School of Education and Communities
She has worked across the not-for-profit and education sectors working with a wide range of clients from refugees to young people. Her previous work includes working as an Hourly Paid Lecturer; and mentoring young people (year 9) with and without complex needs within an alternative school provision, a secondary school and a Youth Centre. In addition, she developed personal development workshops, programmes and learning resources for young women and girls within community-based settings.
Her passion for employing hip-hop pedagogy and creative arts for education and well-being is evident in her published work, and teaching and speaking engagements - which extends to her work as co-director of award nominated film documentary 'Through The Lens of Hip Hop: UK Women' (2014), and her current doctorate research.
- PhD Candidate
- Athena Swan Champion
- School Representative on UEL Equality and Diversity Committee
- Founder/Organiser of ElevateHer Conference at UEL
- PhD Candidate researching The Pedagogies of British Black Women who engage with Hip Hop Culture, and Hip Hop and Grime Music
- Film documentary: Through The Lens of Hip-Hop: UK Women (writer, co-producer, co-director)
- Dissertation: Hiphopology for Transformation: A Case Study of an East London Higher Education Institute
Conferences, Seminars and Other Public Engagements
- Bushay, S. (2018) The Remix: Hip-Hop as Critical Pedagogies in Academic Spaces. Presentation delivered at King's College London Seminar Series (London) 3 July 2018
- Bushay, S. (2016) Hip-Hop as Critical Pedagogy in Academic Spaces. Paper presented at the Power of Hip-Hop: Exchange Conference (London) 8 July 2016
- Invited to chair the 'Cultural Power of Hip-Hop' panel at the Power of Hip-Hop: Exchange Conference (London) July 2016
- Invited to join 2016 London Feminist Flim Festival jury panel for Feature Film Awards Category
- Bushay, S and Pariz 1 (2016) Hip Hop Fems Make Some Noise. Workshop delivered at ElevateHer Conference (London) 4 March 2016
- Founder/organiser of International Women's Day conference, ElevateHer which was founded in March 2015, hosted by Cass School of Education and Communities, supported by Athena SWAN
- International Centre for Public Pedagogy member.
- Hip hop pedagogy in informal and formal educative places
- Hip Hop feminism/hip hop feminist pedagogy
- Teaching and learning (Decolonial/Inclusive)
- Critical pedagogies
- Emancipatory education
- Race, Gender and Education
- Civic Engagement
Silhouette Bushay teaches across the Early Childhood and Education subject area (please see below):
- Critical Pedagogies (ED6010)
- Sociology of Education (ED4005)
- Education with Psychology (ED4007)
- Perspectives of Early Childhood Development (ED4009)
- Researching Issues in Education (Supervisor) (ED5012)
- BA (Hons) Education Studies dissertation (ED6015)
In addition to this, Silhouette provides academic advice to undergraduate students.