Dear students and colleagues,
The recent news of conflict taking place in Ukraine is hugely concerning. I join with those calling for peace.
We are proud to be one of the most inclusive and diverse learning communities globally, and all members are welcomed and supported from all around the world. We are committed to a fair and sustainable future, providing an environment to debate, challenge and advance robustly, civilly and with kindness. No student or member of staff should individually be held responsible for actions of their government and we will not tolerate abuse to any member of our community.
If you have been affected by the current situation in Ukraine, please know that you do not need to manage on your own. We are here to support you during this time and have a range of services you can access. We have established a dedicated email Ukrainesupport@uel.ac.uk to respond to any questions or concerns.
The following support is also available:
Speak to someone
Online support packages
If you do not wish to talk to someone, remember you can access the following online support packages for free as a UEL student. All you need to do is register with your UEL email.
- Togetherall is a 24/7 emotional support community. They provide online courses to help you cope. For example, there is a course on managing loss and grief and one called ‘balance your thinking’ which will help you manage the current uncertainty.
- Being Well, Living Well (UEL log in required) is a new course on Moodle designed specifically for university students. It has 18 skill-based modules to help you maintain your mental, physical, financial and emotional wellbeing while at the University.
- Blackbullion is a financial education system for university students with lots of tips, modules and resources to help you manage your money.
External support services
There are also a number of external support services for those impacted by the events in Ukraine, including:
- UKCISA is the UK Council for International Student Affairs and they have a Student Advice Line +44 207 788 9214. It is open Monday to Friday (except for public holidays) from 1.00pm to 4.00pm (UK time)
- Samaritans - telephone 116 123 available to lend a listening ear 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. If you don't want to talk email email@example.com and a trained Samaritan will respond within 24 hours
- If you prefer to receive text support text 'STUDENT' to 85258 for 24/7 support from Student Space
We understand this is a very difficult time and the situation in Ukraine will affect everyone differently. I encourage you to reach out for the support you need.
Our impacted University community are in my thoughts and prayers.
With best wishes,
Professor Amanda J. Broderick
BA (Hons) PhD DipM DipMRS PGCTL FRSA MBGS FCIM PFHEA
Vice-Chancellor & President, University of East London