Dr Anastasia Karandinou
Department of Architecture & Visual Arts , School of Architecture Computing and Engineering (ACE)
Dr Anastasia Karandinou is a practicing architect and a senior lecturer at the University of East London in the area of architecture and design. She has taught at the University of Portsmouth and at the University of Edinburgh and done research in the areas of architectural design, urbanism, digital media, interactive design, architecture and neuroscience. She represented Greece in the 11th Venice Biennale of Architecture as the main curator of the 'Athens by Sound' pavilion, and her research and design projects have been broadly published. Her recent publications include the books 'No Matter', and 'Data, Architecture and the Experience of Space,' both published by Routledge - Taylor and Francis.
In 2016 she organised and led the international conference Data+Senses in collaboration with ARUP and RIBA, and her recent teaching is reflecting on the political and social dimension of space. She is currently co-leading the research group 'Culture & Environment'; one of the five major research teams of the School, and is Co-I in a funded research project on Off-Site Zero Carbon Customisable buildings, developed in collaboration with Tongji University, China. Within the MA course she leads, she has led a series of real-life student projects, developed in collaboration with external organisations and local communities.
- PhD (2011), Architecture, University of Edinburgh. Recipient of the AHRC scholarship, and of the Barry Wilson Memorial Award.
- PG Cert (2012) Postgraduate Certificate in Learning and Teaching in Higher Education, University of Portsmouth.
- Higher Education Academy Fellow (2012)
- MSc (2006) in Advanced Architectural Design (AAD), University of Edinburgh. International award UIA-Velux ‘Light of Tomorrow' 3rd prize.
- Diploma - Architect (2005) NTUA (National Technical University of Athens)
- Registered Architect: TEE (Technical Chamber of Engineers, Greece) (2005). ARB Registered Architect (2013).
- Architecture Diploma year 4: Technical University of Eindhoven, The Netherlands. 2002-03