WEEKLY SITE VISITSWe're one of a few universities in the UK who offer weekly site visits to major engineering and construction projects in London.
Superb facilitiesYou’ll enjoy superb, up-to-date facilities, including CAD suites, a control and power electronics lab and an electrical principles and electronics lab.
perfect place to studyYou can enhance your learning through our programme of expert guest lectures and site visits. You’ll see how engineering theory is put into practice in one of Europe’s biggest regeneration areas - right on your doorstep.
We teach a wide range of engineering degrees, incorporating general engineering as well as design engineering, engineering management, civil engineering and structural engineering. We’ll give you a broad grounding in all of the profession’s major areas.
You'll benefit from an academic team that boasts high-calibre industrial experience and a track record of leading research. And you will learn in superbly equipped laboratories that are among the best you'll find in any university in the country.
On all of our courses, our strong links with industry mean that
you’ll be well placed to find work experience, or you can take the
option of a year’s placement to develop your practical skills and boost
After graduating, you’ll be well on your way to a stimulating engineering career in planes, trains and automobiles – or whatever sector interests you most.
See our courses.
Dr Kalok Lee , Mechanical Engineering, BEng (Hons) Course Leader
Mechanical engineers are responsible for conceiving, designing, manufacturing, testing and marketing devices and systems that alter, transfer, transform and utilise the energy forms that cause motion. A mechanical engineer is something of a jack-of-all-trades with problem solving and analytical abilities. This makes a mechanical engineer a multi-skilled employee.
We have dedicated laboratory facilities for engineering, computing and architecture housed in new, purpose-built labs at our Docklands Campus. These provide an ideal environment for students to test theories and master practical skills. Our facilities include:
- Open Plan Engineering Laboratories (including Large Structures, Concrete, Soil Mechanics and Engineering Geology)
- Mechanical and Mechatronics Laboratory
- Communications Laboratory
- Hydraulics Laboratory
- Geotechnical Research Laboratory
- Advanced Materials Laboratory (Microanalytics)
- Surveying workshop
Some of our unique facilities include the 7th generation robotic arm, 6k RPM CNC, SEM-EDX, XRD, XRF, dynamic triaxial shear strength machine, CHN Analyser, Environmental Chamber, CNC Plasma and Laser cutter, 3D printing suite.
To find out more and experience our facilities first-hand, visit us at an Open Day.
The Engineering cluster has an integrated
research structure to enable major engineering challenges to be tackled
The cluster has world class and unique facilities, internationally established research leaders, a strong Postgraduate Research population and a culture of innovation and enterprise.
The five Research Themes are:
1. Connected Devices and Smart Systems
Lead: Dr Jaswinder Lota
To learn more or see how to join the team email: Dr Jaswinder Lota email@example.com, Dr Samir Morad S.Morad@uel.ac.uk (Biomedical Systems), or Dr Subramaniam Arunachalam S.Arunachalam@uel.ac.uk (manufacturing)
This group works towards development of novel devices and systems for building future environments with higher connectivity, for good health and improving quality of life. Research topics include:
- Next generation mobile communication
including beyond (B) 5G/6G/THz
- Connected and autonomous vehicles (CAV), vehicle-to everything (V2X) communication.
- Biomedical Systems
- Connectivity in biomedical sensors for online/IoT based monitoring.
- Smart manufacturing.
2. Innovative Materials and Construction Systems
Lead: Dr Ali Abbas
To learn more or see how to join the team email: firstname.lastname@example.org
This research team works towards development of innovative materials and construction systems towards betterment of the current construction practice, quality of life and the environment. Research topics include:
- Structural Engineering for employing
eco-friendly and lightweight composite structures, such as steel-concrete and fibre reinforced
polymer, structures, structural analysis and design.
- Numerical modelling and experimental work, performance assessment of corroded reinforced concrete structures, stochastic deterioration modelling and reliability.
- Construction Management including decision support systems and hazard preventive solutions.
The team studies the mechanisms of classic and emerging ground hazards, their early prediction, prevention, mitigation and recovery through a new generation of technologies that are citizen-centric, more tailored, less intrusive and more courteous to the natural ground systems. Research topics includes:
- Monotonic, dynamic, and anisotropic
properties of geocomposite materials;
- Micromechanics of granular matters;
- Problematic soils in particular expansive and collapsing soils, loess and liquefiable soils;
- Advanced numerical analysis (FEM, RSFEM, FDM, DEM-CFD, …)
4. Flood Risk Modelling and Mapping
Lead: Dr Ravindra Jayaratne
To learn more or see how to join the team email: email@example.com
Research topics within this group include:
- Coastal and river engineering,
prevention mechanisms for tsunamis, storm surges and high waves.
- Advanced algorithms for processing survey data and flood risk management.
- Performance assessment of deteriorating infrastructures and flood risk management with stochastic modelling, improving reliability and optimising maintenance
5. Sustainable Urban Built Environment
Lead: Dr Mihaela Ciupala
To learn more or see how to join the team email: firstname.lastname@example.org
1. Smart Sustainability:
- Exploiting environmental and engineering data to address data quality in large scale Cyber Physical Systems in Smart Cities/places;
- Digital technology: BIM, Digital Twin technology, IoT in construction;
2. Sustainable Engineering/Built Environment:
- Retrofitting solutions: Sustainable Smart retrofitting solutions for energy efficiency in housing; Sustainable Engineering solutions: seismic retrofitting of RC frames with innovative materials (carbon fibre polymer materials);
- Green infrastructure and ecological systems; Resources management;
- Safety and well-being of individuals and communities;
3. Sustainable Construction:
- Sustainable Project Management;
- Sustainable International Development; Global cooperation, Sustainable infrastructure development;
- ICT in Construction;
- Green building construction technology;
Because of its wide-ranging subject matter, you will find engineering opportunities in a huge variety of sectors across the spectrum of electrical, mechanical, structural and civil engineering. These include: aerospace, automotive, construction, defence, energy, manufacturing, marine, materials and metals, pharmaceuticals, railways, sport, surveying, and the utilities industries. Excellent graduates can also pursue their doctoral studies for careers in the academic sector.
To help you on your career path, you’ll have access to:
- Employability skills training such as interview techniques and CV writing.
- Gradscore, a groundbreaking electronic tool that allows you to complete a mock application and find out if you’d be shortlisted for interview. It has been created exclusively for UEL with help from leading employers and employability experts.
- UEL Skills Academy, where external professionals deliver sessions on the competencies most prized by graduate employers.
- Internships, placements and volunteering opportunities from our work placements team.
- Professional mentoring scheme, matching students with staff from major companies.
- Networking opportunities and annual careers fair.
- Support with setting up your own business
Our location in one of Europe’s largest regeneration areas and our extensive links to local employers will also give you access to fantastic internships and placements. From heavy industry to high-tech, health and social care to the arts, there are so many opportunities right on our doorstep.
Our online Career Coach shows you the different career paths that your chosen subject area can lead you to. It gives you information on specific careers, job roles, potential wages and available jobs in the sector. You can also take a quick quiz to find a career to match your personality type!