WEEKLY SITE VISITSWe're one of a few universities in the UK who offer weekly site visits to major engineering and construction projects in London.
Superb facilitiesYou’ll enjoy superb, up-to-date facilities, including CAD suites, a control and power electronics lab and an electrical principles and electronics lab.
perfect place to studyYou can enhance your learning through our programme of expert guest lectures and site visits. You’ll see how engineering theory is put into practice in one of Europe’s biggest regeneration areas - right on your doorstep.
We teach a wide range of engineering degrees, incorporating general engineering as well as design engineering, engineering management, civil engineering and structural engineering. We’ll give you a broad grounding in all of the profession’s major areas.
You'll benefit from an academic team that boasts high-calibre industrial experience and a track record of leading research. And you will learn in superbly equipped laboratories that are among the best you'll find in any university in the country.
On all of our courses, our strong links with industry mean that
you’ll be well placed to find work experience, or you can take the
option of a year’s placement to develop your practical skills and boost
After graduating, you’ll be well on your way to a stimulating engineering career in planes, trains and automobiles – or whatever sector interests you most.
See our courses.
Dr Kalok Lee , Mechanical Engineering, BEng (Hons) Course Leader
Mechanical engineers are responsible for conceiving, designing, manufacturing, testing and marketing devices and systems that alter, transfer, transform and utilise the energy forms that cause motion. A mechanical engineer is something of a jack-of-all-trades with problem solving and analytical abilities. This makes a mechanical engineer a multi-skilled employee.
We have dedicated laboratory facilities for engineering, computing and architecture housed in new, purpose-built labs at our Docklands Campus. These provide an ideal environment for students to test theories and master practical skills. Our facilities include:
- fully compliant professional qualifications laboratory
- a control and power electronics lab
- electrical principles and electronics lab
- specialist surveying laboratories
- civil engineering laboratory
- microprocessors laboratory
- network teaching laboratory
- CAD suites - computer studios to explore theoretical and virtual models of architecture
- architecture and visual arts centre - a purpose-built, creative space
Senior Lecturer Dr Ken Yeo has research interests in mobile communications and radio frequencies, while Senior Lecturer Dr Andrew Chanerley is applying new methods to recover further information from seismic data.
Because of its wide-ranging subject matter, you will find engineering opportunities in a huge variety of sectors across the spectrum of electrical, mechanical, structural and civil engineering. These include: aerospace, automotive, construction, defence, energy, manufacturing, marine, materials and metals, pharmaceuticals, railways, sport, surveying, and the utilities industries. Excellent graduates can also pursue their doctoral studies for careers in the academic sector.
To help you on your career path, you’ll have access to:
- Employability skills training such as interview techniques and CV writing.
- Gradscore, a groundbreaking electronic tool that allows you to complete a mock application and find out if you’d be shortlisted for interview. It has been created exclusively for UEL with help from leading employers and employability experts.
- UEL Skills Academy, where external professionals deliver sessions on the competencies most prized by graduate employers.
- Internships, placements and volunteering opportunities from our work placements team.
- Professional mentoring scheme, matching students with staff from major companies.
- Networking opportunities and annual careers fair.
- Support with setting up your own business
Our location in one of Europe’s largest regeneration areas and our extensive links to local employers will also give you access to fantastic internships and placements. From heavy industry to high-tech, health and social care to the arts, there are so many opportunities right on our doorstep.