Our accounting, finance and economics courses have a huge number of accreditations from professional bodies. You will graduate with exemptions from professional accountancy exams and with the skills that employers really need.
We have one of the largest Bloomberg training suites in the country. It gives you unparalleled access to the high-tech trading equipment that professionals in accounting, finance and economics use every day.
Highly valued by students
92% overall student satisfaction for our Accounting, Finance and Economics courses according to The Guardian for 2019. Our courses are designed with your career in mind. We have superb links with businesses in Canary Wharf, London and across the world. The course content is contemporary, skills-based and valued by employers.
- On our undergraduate and postgraduate courses, you’ll be trained to use the same tools as professional City traders - we have a dedicated Bloomberg Room at our USS campus specifically for this purpose. You'll develop practical skills and technical expertise that employers value highly.
- You’ll be taught by research-active staff who bring their insights into the lecture theatre and seminar room to inform, stimulate and inspire. Our lectures feature eminent guest speakers, are interactive and follow an interdisciplinary approach; they’re not just economics, maths and statistics - they expand to the fields of political economy, international relations and history.
- You’ll learn and be assessed in ways that mirror the real world, through presentations, pitches and assignments in addition to the more traditional lectures and seminars. All our classes are taught by lecturers and tutors with strong academic credentials as well as significant commercial experience with world-leading companies such as PwC, Prudential and Standard and Poor’s.
- Many of our courses provide an essential step towards gaining the professional accreditation you need to make a mark in your chosen field. We help you to convince employers that you have what it takes to make a positive difference.
See our courses.
Studying at UEL has been a great experience for many reasons. What is great is that I can study my master's without it affecting work and other routines. We also have access to the Bloomberg room which helps us to find and analyse all sorts of data related to Finance and Econometrics subjects. Everyone at UEL, especially teachers are very friendly. I would encourage everyone to apply to UEL.Mehmood Jamshed , MSc International Accounting and Finance
Our facilities give students a huge helping hand during their studies and a head-start when they begin their careers. As well as our 24hr libraries, state-of-the-art teaching facilities and student support services, we have one of the largest Bloomberg training suites in the country. It gives you access to the same world-class financial trading facilities that professionals in the City of London use, so you can learn using the best resources available.
Bloomberg terminals provide real-time financial data and analysis, giving you accurate information about stocks and economic trends to inform your projects and to stay informed on financial and economic issues.
Our libraries and learning services are at the very heart of the University. We have a superb range of resources and facilities to help you with your studies and we’re committed to offering you a first-class student experience. Our Stratford library, opened at a cost of £14 million, is a state-of-the-art building that provides an inspirational environment for study and research. Overlooking the Royal Docks, our modern Docklands library is another fantastic space for learning, offering a wide range of resources as well as group and silent study facilities. It’s also home to the UEL Skillzone, where you can get extra help with your academic writing.
Both libraries are open 24/7 during term time, giving you maximum flexibility about when you choose to study. As well as visiting our libraries in person, you can also take advantage of the growing collection of electronic resources, including e-books, e-journals and databases.
To ensure our students get the best possible support, we’ve opened brand-new Student Support hubs at our Docklands and Stratford campuses - at a cost of £3.1 million. These contain centralised helpdesks as well as comfortable areas to relax and socialise. The helpdesks provide a ‘one-stop shop’ for every possible need, from course-related enquiries to personal issues such as health and money matters. They’re designed to be your first port of call if you have an enquiry or problem.
To find out more and experience our facilities first-hand, visit us at an Open Day.
The world of finance, banking and economics has undergone a seismic shift in recent years. As global economies nose-dived into recession and major political events unfolded in the wake of international economic crises, it became obvious that the financial world affects us all in many ways.
Our teams are researching many of the issues that are headline news, looking at problems that affect millions of lives to challenge prevailing wisdom, offer new ways of thinking and make a positive impact on society. This means you’ll be taught by people who are passionate about passing on the latest knowledge to students and broadening their minds.
More detail on our specific research focuses can be found on the research page.
Our Accounting, Finance and Economics courses are designed with your career in mind. The degrees are accredited by a huge number of professional organisations to give you a head-start in your career, and we incorporate a wide variety of employability-focused activities into our courses; from workshops and guest lectures to field trips and practical assessments.
Our undergraduate courses are ideal for careers in financial accountancy, management, budget control, investment analysis, data analysis, stockbroking, tax advice and auditing. Our postgraduate degrees are highly specialist, professional courses that will enable you to take a step up in your finance or accountancy career. Our graduates have gone on to work for companies such as Nomura, IAG Cargo, Macquarie, HSBC, Barclays, Wells Fargo and Metro Bank.
If you are keen to start your own business, our state-of-the-art Knowledge Dock business incubation space will provide you with access to business advisers, workshops and mentors to help you get started. You can also enter our annual E-factor competition, which carries a £6,000 cash prize.
At UEL, you’ll also have access to:
- Employability skills training such as interview techniques and CV writing.
- Gradscore, a groundbreaking electronic tool that allows you to complete a mock application and find out if you’d be shortlisted for interview. It has been created exclusively for UEL with help from leading employers and employability experts.
- UEL Skills Academy, where external professionals deliver sessions on the competencies most prized by graduate employers.
- Internships, placements and volunteering opportunities from our work placements team.
- Professional mentoring scheme, matching students with staff from major companies.
- Networking opportunities and annual careers fair.
- Support with setting up your own business.
Our location in one of Europe’s largest regeneration areas and our extensive links to local employers will also give you access to fantastic internships and placements. From heavy industry to high-tech, health and social care to the arts, there are so many opportunities right on our doorstep.
Our online Career Coach shows you the different career paths that your chosen subject area can lead you to. It gives you information on specific careers, job roles, potential wages and available jobs in the sector. You can also take a quick quiz to find a career to match your personality type!