What support is available to me?

In addition to the anticipatory adjustments available to all students there are two other types of support available to students with disabilities, long-term medical conditions and Specific Learning Difficulties while you are studying.


Institutional support (individual adjustments)

Where students have disclosed a disability and have established their right to reasonable adjustments by providing appropriate evidence, additional adjustments can be considered.  The type of support that can be provided will vary according to the needs of the individual but may include a combination of the following:

  • Learning Support Agreement - when you register with the Disability & Dyslexia Team, an adviser will work with you to create a Learning Support Agreement.  With your permission, this document will be sent to relevant staff who will be responsible for putting your adjustments in place.  This LSA will inform teaching staff of the recommended support you require from them and give them guidelines on how best they can best support you.
  • Additional examination arrangements such as extra time, rest breaks or use of an amanuensis (scribe/reader) or Word Processor
  • Extra time for library loans
  • Blue badge holders may be eligible to obtain parking permits
  • Personal support necessary to access your course such as note-takers, library assistants etc.. This may be on an interim basis pending receipt of Disabled Students’ Allowances funding.
  • Certificates may be provided for those students who have Specific Learning Difficulties(SpLDs) & those students who are Deaf or Hard of Hearing which request tutors to take into account the difficulties caused by their condition when producing academic work (where competence standards are not involved)


Additional support funded from Disabled Students Allowances

Your Study Aids and Study Strategies Assessment (DSA Needs Assessment) may have made recommendations for extra support that is additional to that provided by the University.  This would be funded directly from your Disabled Students’ Allowances.   Once your Funding Body has written to you to confirm what recommendations they have approved (you will receive a letter that is several pages long containing this information – called a DSA2 letter), the Disability and Dyslexia Team can help you to arrange your support.

Types of support commonly recommended from DSAs include:

  • Personal support to access your course (e.g. note-takers etc.)
  • Specialist, non-subject specific, tutorial support for Specific Learning Difficulties such as dyslexia & dyspraxia*
  • Mentoring support for those students with Mental Health difficulties.

*Important note - Specialist tutorial support does not include academic tuition as this is not funded from DSAs, which are meant to help you address issues caused by your SpLD.  If you wish to have additional academic support, this would need to be arranged privately and funded from your personal finances.

The Disability & Dyslexia Team will ask for your permission to disseminate your Learning Support Agreement.  Please note, however, that if you wish to restrict dissemination of information, this may result in it not being possible for some adjustments to be put in place.  Please see the section on reasonable adjustments for more information.


Temporary injuries or conditions that affect your ability to study

Students with temporary injuries or conditions or who are admitted to hospital may be in need of study support similar to that provided to students with disabilities to maintain their academic programme with minimal interruptions. 


What should I do if I have medical condition, injury or if I am to be admitted to hospital?

You should notify your School immediately so they are aware of the situation and options can be explored and discussed promptly.
If you think you may require additional support please make an appointment to see a member of the Health and Wellbeing Team or the Accessibility Team for guidance. 


What sort evidence do I need to provide?

In line with the standards of evidence required to put in place reasonable adjustments for disability-related issues, you will be required to provide evidence of your injury/condition.  It is your responsibility to provide this.

The Disability & Dyslexia Team can provide a template letter which specifies the information we require on the extent of the injury/condition and the likely impact on your studies for you to give to your medical practitioner to complete if you would find this helpful.


What type of support is available?

Once you have the information from your medical practitioner available, the University will be better placed to advise you on the best way to proceed.  Dependent on the extent of the impact of your condition on your studies, there will be a number of options available for you to consider, such as:

  • Taking a break in studies to give you the time to recover, this would need to be discussed with your School as formal arrangements would need to be made.
  • If it will not be possible for you to meet an assessment deadline, you may wish to submit an extenuating circumstances request.  The Student Union can provide advice and guidance on how to complete the necessary forms. 
  • It may be possible for some reasonable adjustments to be put in place for you as a short term measure.  This will be dependent on your level of need but could include parking arrangements, examination arrangements or some assistance from a support worker.  You would need to make an appointment with the Disability & Dyslexia Team who will be able to help you.


Financial issues

If a temporary injury results in financial hardship or costs, for example additional transport costs, the student can speak to the Student Money Advice & Rights Team.