To access support, you will need to provide evidence of your condition / diagnosis. Please see the sections below for the type of evidence you can provide for different diagnoses. 

Please note, all evidence must be presented in English.

Evidence for Disabilities, Long Term Physical / Mental Health Conditions

Acceptable forms of evidence include:

  • A completed DSA Disability Evidence Form, filled in by a medical professional such as a GP or Consultant.  
  • A letter from a medical professional, e.g., your GP or Consultant. 
  • A Certificate of Hearing Impairments (CHI)
  • A Certificate of Visual Impairment (CVI)   
  • Appointment letters and medical history / summaries are not accepted. Please note that some GP's charge for writing evidence letters. We cannot contribute to or reimburse this cost.  

Content of medical evidence letter     

The evidence letter must outline: 

  • Your diagnosis; details of your disability or medical condition.   
  • Confirm that the condition has lasted or is likely to last at least 12 months.  
  • Any substantial impact on studying. 
  • Impact on other aspects of Day-to-day activities. 
  • Side effects of medication (fatigue, drowsiness etc.)   

If possible, identify whether the condition affects: 

  • Concentration or memory, 
  • Motivation, 
  • Reading / writing for long periods, 
  • Use of computers, 
  • Ability to walk any distance, 
  • Any side effects of medication that may impact on learning, e.g., sleep disturbance, fatigue in the mornings etc. 
  • Any impact on the student's ability to access public transport. 

Evidence for Specific Learning Differences

Specific Learning differences can include: 

  • Dyslexia 
  • Dysgraphia 
  • dyscalculia 
  • ADHD

Excepted Evidence 

To set up support we require a Full Diagnostic Assessment report completed in accordance with SASC guidelines. this means your report should be written by either: 

  • An Educational Psychologist who holds a current Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC) certificate. 
  • A specialist teacher assessor holding a current assessment practicing certificate (APC). 

What is a Diagnostic Assessment Report?  

The assessment must have been carried out using adult tests such as the WAIS IV. It should include attainment tests such as the Adult Reading Test (ART), the Test of Word Reading Efficiency (TOWRE) or the Wide Range Achievement Test (WRAT). 

If your report does not meet these guidelines, please contact us as we can advise on how to get a new assessment. If you have never been formally assessed for dyslexia and would like to access support, please email us at .

Please note, a JCQ Form 8 or ECHP (Education Care and Health Plan) is not excepted as proof of diagnosis for registration and Disabled Students Allowance. In some instances, this report may be accepted for support within UEL. Please contact us for guidance on this as soon as possible if you feel that this may apply to you.  

Evidence for Autism Spectrum Conditions

Autistic Spectrum Conditions and ADHD 

  • A letter or diagnostic report completed by a medical professional, e.g. consultant psychiatrist or clinical psychologist
  • If you do not have a letter or diagnostic report, we recommend that you ask your GP or relevant health professional to complete the DSA Disability Evidence Form 
  • If you have a diagnostic report for ADHD by an Educational Psychologist, please see evidence requirements for Specific Learning Differences. 

Please note that some GPs charge for writing evidence letters and you will be liable to pay this fee. 

The evidence letter must outline: 

  • Your diagnosis; details of your disability or medical condition   
  • Confirm that the condition has lasted or be likely to last at least 12 months or longer.  
  • When the diagnosis was made 
  • Any substantial impact on day-to-day activities, as if condition was untreated (including education) 

Evidence for Short-term Conditions

Short-term Conditions are those which will heal but may take a long time, such as a broken bone or fracture. During this time the injury will have an impact on a student's ability to study / complete exams. 

A Disability Advisor may make recommendations for short-term support. This decision is made on a case-by-case basis. 

Student need to Provide a letter from a medical professional, such as a GP or Consultant. the Letter need to: 

  • Confirm the injury/diagnosis,  
  • Say how long it will take to heal/recover,   
  • explain how it may affect your studies and day to day activities.
  • We cannot accept X- rays, Medical Summaries or A&E attendance slips.   


Related links

Disability and Dyslexia team

We support students whose conditions have a substantial, long term impact on their learning.

Get support

Sharing your disability

Disclosing a disability is the formal term given to informing the University that you have a disability, long-term medical condition or specific learning difficulty, such as dyslexia, that has a substantial effect on your day-to-day life and may affect your ability to study.

See information on disclosing a disability

Exam and assessment arrangements

Examination adjustments may be part of your support arrangements. Once in place, these adjustments will stand for the duration of your programme, unless they are for a temporary condition or are altered due to a change in your condition.

Find out about exam arrangements

Related links

Disabled Students Allowance

The Disabled Students Allowance (DSA) contributes towards the additional costs, which you may incur during your course, due to your disability or Specific Learning Difference, It is not a loan and it does not need repaying.

Information about DSA

Support available to all students

The University of East London assists all students by providing accessibility software, access to study support, academic and pastoral support.

See what support is available