Welcome to the University of East London! Congratulations on all you have achieved this past year and for your resilience and hard work through the exceptional circumstances of the pandemic. We are looking forward to you joining our community and taking the next steps towards your ambitions. I am delighted that you have chosen to invest in your future with us.
The University of East London priorities a safe, welcoming, fulfilling, inclusive environment of success for all and your wellbeing is key to this. We have many resources to support your mental, physical and emotional wellness and a comprehensive extra-curricular programme of events, activities, clubs and societies for you to explore exciting new opportunities, meet new friends and discover new horizons. All our campuses are COVID-Secure to ensure that you can enjoy the full University experience, governed by our COVID-19 Tiers of Operation System. Our UEL Community Wellness Pledge requires all members of the University community to commit to expected behaviours to keep ourselves and our community healthy, safe and supported.
The University of East London has galvanised around our commitment to deliver the highest quality, careers-first education. You’ll find we’ve invested and transformed the way we do things to give you a flying start, leading the way education should be delivered. From September 2021, our ground-breaking curriculum will be delivered through our innovative Dual Delivery 2.0 (DD 2.0) framework. This offers a holistic approach to teaching and learning that focuses on developing your academic and personal skills to prepare you for the jobs of the future. DD2.0 enables you to engage in a wide range of inspiring learning and development opportunities through a flexible, personalised, careers-focussed educational experience. You are joining a thriving and vibrant community on campus. You will find that the friendly and diverse nature of campus life is shared by the community at large. On our campuses, we have a wide range of services devoted to supporting your studies. You will have access to libraries, computing facilities, welfare, advice and many social and sporting facilities. The Students’ Union at the University also aims to help you love your time at UEL, to help you make friends and discover new activities and to represent your academic interests to the University.
We want you to hit the ground running when you enrol with us. This welcome pack is designed to provide you and your supporters (family and friends) with key information to help you prepare for and make the successful transition to university.
- The ‘Next Steps Guide’ enclosed is designed to help you settle into your studies and life on campus as soon as possible by providing you with a range of important and interesting information. So please do make sure you read this document and keep it safe.
- The International Student Travel Guide provides advice and guidance on how to arrange your flight (including visa and immigration requirements) and what to do when you arrive in the UK.
- The Students' Union booklet is a summary of the work the Students' Union does with and on behalf of all students. This includes how student representation works and how students can get involved in it. It also explains how our student groups (e.g. societies, communities and campaigns) organise fun and supportive activities and events.
- The Supporters leaflet provides your family and friends with information on how they can support you in your studies. Included in your pack is also a Key Information Card for you and one for a supporter. Both include term dates term breaks so you can plan term breaks in advance. Your Key Information Card also contains useful telephone numbers. The card is the size of a bank card so you can keep it in a purse, wallet, or mobile phone.
- We hope you find the information helpful, and we look forward to seeing you in September for the start of your exciting journey with us.
With best wishes,
Professor Amanda J. Broderick, Vice-Chancellor & President
BA (Hons) PhD DipM DipMRS PGCTL FRSA MBGS FCIM PFHEA