As a higher education, full or part-time student living in England, you can apply for Disabled Students Allowance (DSA) if you have a disability.

This includes mental health conditions or specific learning difficulties such as dyslexia.

In order to receive the DSA, you must meet the definition of disability under the Equality Act 2010.

The support you receive depends on your individual needs and not on your income.

You can get help with:

  • the costs of specialist equipment (up to £5.529 for the whole course),
  • non-medical helpers (up to £21,987 a year),
  • extra travel costs due to your disability and a range of other disability-related costs of studying.

Postgraduates can get a single allowance of up to £10,993 per year.

Further information

For more information and details of how to apply, please see the DSA webpage.