Dr Abdel-Rahman Hani Tawil
School of Architecture, Computing and Engineering
Senior Lecturer at the school of Computing, Architecture and Engineering
Dr Abdel-Rahman H. Tawil is currently a senior lecturer at the School of Architecture, Computing and Engineering. He received his BSc in Computer Science from the University of Jordan in Amman and his PhD is in the area of Semantic Interoperability in Heterogeneous and Distributed Multiple-Information Servers Environment from Cardiff University, Cardiff, UK. Before he joined UEL, he worked as a lecturer at the School of Computing Science and Mathematics, Aston University, Birmingham, UK. He is a member of the Distributed Software Engineering Research Group.
Abdel-Rahman has extensive research expertise and a wide range of research interests with special emphasis being placed on semantic technology and its use for real-world applications. His current research interest includes using wireless sensor networks in Tele-health and Tele-homecare applications: exploiting the semantics of resources and activities descriptions available in a patient surrounding environment, adaptive learning and care actors profiling.
Abdel-Rahman worked as a lecturer at the University of West of England (UWE), Bristol; University of Wales Institute Cardiff (UWIC); and the Department of Computer Science, Cardiff University.
He is also a visiting lecturer at ISIS, Engineering School of Health Information Systems, Jean-François Champollion University, Toulouse.
Much of Abdel-Rahman's research is focused on the development of semantic techniques for assistive technologies to support independent living for the elderly community within smart home areas of pervasive/ubiquitous wearable sensors environment, ontological modelling and its application for Activity of Daily Life (ADL) recognition.
His research activities spans from inquisitiveness-driven theoretical exploration to applied problem-motivated technology and system development in the following principal areas.
- Metadata, formal knowledge representation, agent-based intelligent systems, especially the integration and interoperation of heterogeneous distributed information systems that support autonomy, learning, adaptability, personalisation and novel interactive interfaces.
- The enrichment of metadata with quality measures and knowledge from knowledge bases and ontologies to improve the conceptualisation of data semantics, especially semantic modelling, representation and reasoning that support data/information interoperability, reuse, sharing and intelligent information processing at higher level of automation.
- Pervasive computing, intelligent environment, context –aware modelling, activities representation and reasoning, especially, the developing of techniques for Activity of Daily Life (ADL) monitoring, recognition and prediction using wearable sensor systems. The modelling of ADLs, behaviour and intention analysis.
- Ambient Assisted Living, Smart Homes, especially, semantically enabled data/information sharing and reuse, ontology-based or logic-based ADL recognition and assistance, and the associated technology infrastructure with focus on proactively detection and prevention of unsafe activities before they become disastrous accidents.
A summary of these research interests includes:
- Homecare alert eServices, personalised care delivery and intervention.
- Coordination of care for elderly patients with chronic diseases.
- ADLs recognition to support the independent living.
- Applications for sensor networks in Tele-health and Tele-homecare applications.
- Exploiting the semantics of resources and activities descriptions available in a patient surrounding environment.
- Adaptive learning and care actors profiling.
- Assistive technologies to support independent living for the elderly community.
- Smart home areas of pervasive/ubiquitous wearable sensors environments.
- Behaviour analysis and activities detection and recognition.
- Ontological modelling and its application for Activity of Daily Life (ADL) recognition.
- Event-driven notification and reactive rule processing
- Recognition of Interleaved Activities within Smart Environments
Scalable service-oriented replication with flexible consistency guarantee in the cloud
Chen, T. Bahsoon, R. Tawil, A.. 2014. Elsevier Science Inc.. 349-370.
A service-based system for malnutrition prevention and self-management
Taweel, A. Barakat T. Miles S. Cioara, T. Anghel, I. Tawil, A. Salomie, I. 2016. Computer Standards & Interfaces.
ARP Cache Poisoning Mitigation and Forensics Investigation
Mangut, A. Al-Nemrat, A. Benzaid, C. Tawil, A.. 2015. TrustCom/BigDataSE/ISPA. 1392-1397.
IntegrationOperators for Generating RDF/OWL-Based User Defined Mediator Views in a Grid Environment
Tawil A. Taweel, A. Naeem, U. Montebello, M. Bashroush, R. Al-Nemrat, A.. 2014. Journal of Intelligent Information Systems. 1-32.
Semantic Process Mining Towards Discovery and Enhancement of Learning Model Analysis
Okoye, K. Tawil A. Naeem U. Lamine E.. 2015. HPCC/CSS/ICESS. 363-370.
Activities of daily life recognition using process representation modelling to support intention analysis
Naeem, U. Bashroush, R. Anthony, R. Awais Azam, M. Tawil, A. Wee Lee, S. Mou-Ling, D. 2015. Int. J. Pervasive Computing and Communications. 347-371.
Ontology-Based Workflow Design for the Coordination of Homecare Interventions
Lamine, E. Tawil, A. Bastide, R. Pingaud. H.. 2014. PRO-VE. 683-690.
A Semantic Reasoning Method Towards Ontological Model for Automated Learning Analysis
Okoye, K. Tawil, A. Naeem, U. Lamine, E. 2015. NaBIC. 49-60.
approach for teaching and learning. I have also developed a PHP web-based system for teaching Math,
English, Verbal and Non Verbal Reasoning. The system uses H5P learning object developed by MIT.
Also, I’m interested in Node JS and currently working on the development of a Cloud-Based
restaurant Point of Sale and Table Management System.
This year two of my final year students won best project for 2016 (Anti-Collision Smart Drones). The
students where interviewed by the University to describe their work:
Search Engine Optimisation (SEO) and Interactive Videos for online shopping. I have submitted an FP7
Cost Proposal, currently working on the submission of an EPSRC Proposal entitled (SemSafety: A
Semantically-Enhanced Approach to Risk Assessment and Safety e-Services for People with Dementia) and
planning to submit a Horizon 2020 proposal under the Personalised Health and Care (PHC - 21) Advancing
Active and Healthy Ageing with ICT: Early Risk Detection and Intervention.
- BSc, Level 6, Advanced Programming
- BSc, Level 6, Network Programming module, Computer Network courses
- BSc, Level 6, Web and Distributed Systems module, Computer Network courses
- BSc, Level 4, Computer Based Technologies module, Computer Network courses
- BSc, Level 4, Introduction to Software Development, Computer Network courses
- MSc, Introduction to the Semantic Web with focus on eHealth applications (Course taught in both English and French Language)
Continous Program Development (CPD) Course on Information Management in the Digital Environment with focus on Information management and organisation in the digital environment (Course taught in both English and Arabic Language). Topics Covered during the course include:
- Data Sharing
- Cloud Computing
- Digital Repositories
- Web 2.0
- Data Mining
- Information Engineering
- Introduction to the Semantic Web.
- 2007-2009 Building Effective ASP. Net 2 Server side applications using Visual Studio 2008
- 2007-2009 Object-Oriented Programming With VB .Net
- 2007-2009 Advanced Database Systems
- 2007-2008 Business Information Systems
- 2007-2008 Internet Programming
- 2001-2007 Object-Oriented Programming With Java
- 2004-2007 Internet Computing
Abdel-Rahman is currently supervising five research students in the areas of eHealth, adaptive learning, homecare coordination, and cybercrime including:
- Semantically-Enabled Sensors networks of Homecare Alert eServices for Patients with Dementia - SemanticSafety
- A Semantic Rule-Based Approach for Supporting Personalised Adaptive Learning
- Personalised Adaptive elearning for patients with ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder)
- The coordination of homecare between various actors involved in the care of elderly people at their homes
- Enriching Results of Learning Process Mining Algorithm through Semantic Model Analysis