Mr Mike Hurst
BSc/FDSc Construction Management Programme Leader
I am a chartered construction manager and member of the Chartered Institute of Builders (MCIOB) and Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (FHEA). I studied Civil Engineering at City University, followed by a Masters degree in the Conservation of Buildings obtained from Anglia Ruskin University. I have worked in both private practice and in the public sector for over 15 years in building surveying and consultant engineering disciplines. At UEL I am senior lecturer in civil engineering, and the programme leader for both the FdSc Civil Engineering & Construction Management and the BSc (Hons) Construction Management. I am also technical author for Pearson publications and have written a number of construction related text books and study guides.
Recent research includes the structural adaption & alterations of historic and listed buildings, their building pathology and the use of traditional construction materials and skills. With regard to modern methods of construction I am interested in the use of off-site construction methods and processes to conserve resources and improve productivity; this also includes the sustainability of modern construction materials and their appropriate re-use.
- I have been involved in a number of research projects which include: Preliminary investigation into the failure of the south nave wall plinth at St. Leonard’s Church, Southminster, Essex.
- Outline design proposals for the improvement of Southminster Village Centre conservation area in conjunction with Maldon Council as part of the re-generation HERS scheme initiative.
- Report into facilities management for the Priory Park Museum, a grade I listed building , in Southend-On-Sea, Essex in conjunction with Southend Borough Council Museum Service.
- I have also undertaken research into the use of e-communication within the design and construction process, particularly with regard to the use of mobile technologies.
'Construction, Building Services Engineering and Civil Engineering' by Topliss S, Hurst M & Skarratt G ISBN 978-0-435499-24-2'Construction, Building Services Engineering and Civil Engineering - Assessment & Delivery Resource' by Topliss S, Hurst M & Skarratt G ISBN 978-0-435499-25-9 These are for the level 3 BTEC National Suite of Construction courses which including the Diploma, Certificate & Award.
Chudley R, Greeno R, Hurst M, Topliss S (2012) ‘Advanced Construction Technology’ 5th Edition Pearson Publishers: London
Chudley R, Greeno R, Hurst M, Topliss S (2011) ‘Construction Technology’ 5th Edition Pearson Publishers: London
Topliss S, Hurst M & Skarratt G (2010) 'Construction, Building Services Engineering and Civil Engineering' 2nd Edition Heinemann Publishers: London
Topliss S, Hurst M & Skarratt G (2008) 'Construction, Building Services Engineering and Civil Engineering - Assessment & Delivery Resource' Heinemann Publishers: London
Hurst (2009) ‘BTEC Study Skills Guide- Construction Planning, Organisation & Control’ published by Pearson Publishers: London
Hurst (2006-7) Selected units for the Edexcel suite of NQF Construction Level 3 vocational qualifications. Pearson Publishers: London
Modules currently taught are:
· EG4104 Surveying & Construction Methods
· EG4112 Introduction to the Built Environment
· EG4113 Construction Technology & Materials
· EG5111 Advanced Technology, Planning & Production
· EG5126/8 Work Placement / Work Based Research Project
· EG6117 Built Asset Management & Development
I am Programme Leader for both the FdSc Civil Engineering & Construction Management and the BSc (Hons) Construction Management.
· CIOB Committee Member - Essex Region;
· Member of London Region Construction Training Group Ltd;
· Consultant for Heritage Information Ltd;
· External Examiner FdSc / BSc Construction Management Hertfordshire University (Oaklands College) 2011-15, Special Advisor 2016 - ;
· Technical Author & Consultant for Pearson publications;
· Link Partner for Construction related courses within the State University of Kazan Russia;
· Construction site visits organiser for UEL and standing member of ACE’s Industrial Advisory Board.
FDSc. in Civil Engineering, Construction Management and Civil Engineering Surveying, BSc in Civil Engineering, BEng in Civil Engineering
Incorporated Member of the Chartered Institute of Building
Member of the Institute for learning
Edexcel External Verifier for NQF in Construction
Educational Consultant for the Heritage Information Trust
I am a trustee of the Heritage Information Trust. A charitable organisation established to promote the care and protection of historic buildings.