Dr David Bringloe
Since gaining a PhD in the field of plant molecular biology, I spent a number of years working as a researcher and lecturer at several institutions in London and the USA. Most of my research experience has been in the area of plant and yeast gene expression. In my present post at UEL I am teaching at the undergraduate and postgraduate levels mainly on the Biochemistry and Biotechnology programme. My research is focused on the production of human therapeutic proteins in plants.
My current research interests include designing strategies for foreign gene expression in plant cells. Our plant-based approach aims to express various human proteins and therapeutic enzymes at high levels in whole plants and plant cell suspensions. To this end we are focussing on over-expression of human adenosine deaminase in plant cells.
My current research interests include designing strategies for foreign gene expression in plant cells. Our plant-based approach aims to express various therapeutic enzymes at high levels in whole plants and plant cell suspensions.
- Singhabahu S., George J., Bringloe D. (2015) High-yield production of apoplast-directed human adenosine deaminase in transgenic tobacco BY-2 cell suspensions. Biotechnology and Applied Biochemistry 62, 87-93
- Crop Biotech Update (2013) ‘Expression of ADA in biotech tobacco plants’ 23 January. International Service for the Acquisition of Agri-biotech Applications [Online]. Available at: http://www.isaaa.org/kc/cropbiotechupdate/newsletter/default.asp?Date=1/23/2013 (Accessed: 26 March 2013).
- Singhabahu S and Bringloe DH (2013) Production of human adenosine deaminase in tobacco BY2 cell suspensions. Abstracts of Annual Meeting of American Society of Plant Biologists, July 20-24 2013, Providence, Rhode Island, USA.
- Singhabahu S., George J., and Bringloe D. (2013) Expression of a functional human adenosine deaminase in transgenic tobacco plants. Transgenic Research 22, 643-649
- Singhabahu S, Bringloe DH, and George J. (2010) Expression of a functional human adenosine deaminase in tobacco plant cell suspensions and whole plants. Abstracts of Euroscicon meeting on recombinant pharmaceutical manufacturing from plants, 15th October 2010,Welwyn Garden City, Herts, UK.
- Allum JF, Bringloe DH, Roberts AV. (2010) Interactions of four pathotypes of Diplocarpon rosae with species and hybrids of Rosa. Plant Pathology 59: 516-522
- Singhabahu S and Bringloe DH. (2009) Expression of functional human adenosine deaminase in tobacco BY2 cell suspension cultures. Abstracts of SEB Annual Main Meeting 28th June-1st July 2009, Glasgow, UK.
- Allum JF, Bringloe DH, Roberts AV. (2007) Chromosome doubling in a Rosa rugosa Thunb. hybrid by exposure of in vitro nodes to oryzalin: the effects of node length, oryzalin concentration and exposure time. Plant Cell Reports 26:1977–1984>
Bringloe DH, Dyer TA and Gray JC (1995) Developmental, circadian and light regulation of wheat ferredoxin gene expression. Plant Mol. Biol. 27, 293-306.
Piper Peter W, Jones Gary W, Bringloe David, Harris Nicholas, MacLean Morag, & Mollapour Mehdi. (2003) The shortened replicative life span of prohibitin mutants of yeast appears to be due to defective mitochondrial segregation in old mother cells. Aging Cell 1, 149-157.
Piper PW and Bringloe DH. (2002) Loss of prohibitins, though it shortens the replicative life-span of yeast cells undergoing division, does not shorten the chronological life-span of Go-arrest cells. Mechanisms of Ageing and Development 123, 287-95.
Bringloe DH, Pleij CWA and Coutts RHA (1999) Mutational analysis of cis-elements in the 3'- and 5'-untranslated regions of satellite tobacco necrosis virus strain C RNA. Virology 264, 76-89.
Wan J, Bringloe DH and Lamppa GK (1998) Disruption of chloroplast biogenesis and plant development upon down-regulation of chloroplast processing enzyme involved in the import pathway. Plant J. 15, 459-468.
Bringloe DH, Gultyaev AP, Pelpel M, Pleij CWA and Coutts RHA (1998) The nucleotide sequence of satellite tobacco necrosis virus strain C and helper-assisted replication of wilt-type and mutant clones of the virus. J. Gen Virol. 79, 1539-1546.
Bradbeer JW, Rao SK, Bringloe DH, McMorrow EM, Montiel PO and Shah N (1996) CO2 fixation. Bulletin de la Société Royale Des Sciences De liege 65: 252-261
Bringloe DH, Rao SK, Dyer TA, Raines CA and Bradbeer JW (1996) Differential gene expression of chloroplast and cytosolic phosphoglycerate kinase in tobacco. Plant Mol. Biol. 30, 637-640
Rao SK, Bringloe DH and Bradbeer JW (1995) Nucleotide sequences of cDNAs encoding the chloroplastic and cytosolic phosphoglycerate kinases from tobacco. Plant Physiol. 109, 1126
Expression of foreign genes in yeast and plants.
Plant Molecular Biology
- BSc Biotechnology & Biochemistry (Programme Leader)
- BSc Biomedical Science
- MSc Biotechnology
- BS5001 Biology of Disease
- BS5002 Cellular Biochemistry
- BS5006 Molecular Genetics
- BS6001 Advances in Biotech and Biochem
- BS6006 DNA Analysis and Bioinformatics
- BS7001 Bioinformatics
- BS7013 Molecular Biology and Disease
- BS7014 Commercial Biotechnology