Dr John Patrick Alao
Senior Scientific Officer
Health, Sport and Bioscience
John Patrick obtained his undergraduate degree in Biochemistry from University of East London followed by a PhD at Imperial College London.
John Patrick obtained his undergraduate degree in Biochemistry from University of East London followed by a PhD at Imperial College London. He then went onto several postdoctoral scientist positions in UK and Sweden progressing to a Principal Research Scientist at Gothenburg University. He has over 30 publications, has contributed to several book chapters and his research interests include: Cancer cell biology, tyrosine kinases and their inhibitors, cell cycle regulation, DNA damage and environmental stress response pathways, the molecular pharmacology of caffeine, S. pombe molecular genetics and anti-malaria drug development. He has technical expertise in the disciplines of molecular biology, biochemistry and cell biology.
1) J. P. Alao, A. M. Weber, A. Shabro, P. Sunnerhagen (2015) Suppression of sensitivity to drugs and antibiotics by high external cation concentrations in fission yeast. PLoS ONE 10:e0119297
2) J. P. Alao, S. Michlikova, P. Dinér, M. Grøtli, P. Sunnerhagen (2014) Selective inhibition of RET mediated cell proliferation in vitro by the kinase inhibitor SPP86. BMC Cancer 14: 853
3) I. Gumula , J. P. Alao, I. O. Ndiege, P. Sunnerhagen, A. Yenesew, M.Erdélyi (2014) Flemingins G-O,Cytotoxic and Antioxidant Constituents of the Leaves of Flemingia grahamiana. Journal of Natural Products 77: 2060- 2067
4) J. P. Alao, J. J. Sjölander, J. Baar, N.Özbaki-Yagan, B. Kakoschky, P. Sunnerhagen (2014) Caffeine stabilizes Cdc25 independently of Rad3 in Schizosaccharomyces pombe contributing to checkpoint override. Molecular Microbiology 4: 777-96
5) N. Abdissa, M. Induli, P. Fitzpatrick, J. P.Alao, P. Sunnerhagen, G. Landberg, A. Yenesew, M. Erdélyi (2014) Cytotoxic quinones from the roots of Aloe dawei. Molecules 19: 3264- 3273
6) J-F. Poon, J.P. Alao, P.Sunnerhagen, P. Dinér (2013) Azastilbenes: A cut off to p38 MAPK inhibitors. Organic & Biomolecular Chemistry 11: 4526- 4536
7) K. Jansson, J. P. Alao, K. Viktorsson, J.Warringer, R. Lewensohn, P. Sunnerhagen (2013) A role for Myh1 in DNA repair after treatment with strand-breaking and crosslinking chemotherapeutic agents. Environmental and Molecular Mutagenesis 54: 327- 337
8) M. Endale, A.Ekberg, J. P. Alao, H. M. Akala, A. Ndakala, P. Sunnerhagen, M.Erdélyi, A. Yenesew. (2012) Anthraquinones of the roots of Pentas micrantha. Molecules 18: 311-321
9) M. Endale, A.Ekberg, H. M. Akala, J. P. Alao,P. Sunnerhagen, A. Yenesew, M. Erdélyi. (2012) Busseihydroquinones A-D from the Roots of Pentas bussei. Journal of Natural Products 75: 1299- 1304
10) P. Dinér , J. P. Alao, J.Söderlund , P. Sunnerhagen , M. Grotli (2012) Preparation of 3-Substituted-1-Isopropyl-1H-Pyrazolo[3,4-d] Pyrimidin-4-Amines as RET Kinase Inhibitors. Journal of Medicinal Chemistry 55: 4872- 4876
11) M. Endale, J. P. Alao, H. M. Akala, N. K. Rono, F.L. Eyase, S. Derese, A. Ndakala,M. Mbugua,D. S. Walsh, P. Sunnerhagen, M. Erdelyi, A. Yenesew (2012) Antiplasmodial Quinones from Pentas longiflora and Pentas lanceolata PlantaMedica 78: 31-35
12) C. Dyrager, L. N. Möllers,L. K. Kjäll, J. P. Alao, P. Dinér, F. Wallner, P. Sunnerhagen, M. Grotli (2011) Design, Synthesis and Biological Evaluation of Chromone-based p38 MAP Kinase Inhibitors. Journal of Medicinal Chemistry 54: 7427- 7431
13) J. P. Alao, P. J. Huis in’t Veld, F.Buhse, P. Sunnerhagen (2010) Hyperosmosis enhances radiation and hydroxyurea resistance of S. pombe checkpoint mutants through the spindle checkpoint and delayed cytokinesis. Molecular Microbiology 77: 143- 157
14) J. P. Alao, P. Sunnerhagen (2009) The ATM and ATR inhibitors CGK733 and caffeine suppress cyclin D1 levels and inhibit cell proliferation. Radiation Oncology 4: 51 15) J. P. Alao, J. Olesch, P. Sunnerhagen (2009) Inhibition of type I histone deacetylase increases resistance of checkpoint deficient cells to genotoxic agents through mitotic delay. Molecular Cancer Therapeutics 8: 2606- 2615 16) J. P. Alao (2009) The ATM regulated DNA damage response pathway as a chemo- and radiosensitisation target. Expert Opinion on Drug Discovery 4: 495-505 17) J. P. Alao, P. Sunnerhagen (2008) Rad3 and Sty1 function in S. pombe: an integrated response to DNA damage and environmental stress? Molecular Microbiology 68: 246- 254
18) J. P. Alao (2007) The regulation of cyclin D1 degradation: Roles in cancer development and the potential for therapeutic invention. Molecular Cancer 6: 24
19) C.M. Marson,T. Mahadevan, J. Dines, S. Sengmany, J.M. Morrell, J. P. Alao, S. P. Joel,D. M. Vigushin, R. C. Coombes (2007) Structure-activity relationships of aryloxyalkanoic acid hydroxyamides as potent inhibitors of histonedeacetylase. Bioorganic and Medicinal Chemistry letters 17: 136- 141
20) J. P. Alao, A. V. Stavropoulou, E. W.-F.Lam and R. C. Coombes (2006) Role of glycogen synthase kinase 3 beta (GSK3b) in mediating the cytotoxic effects of the histone deacetylase inhibitor trichostatin A (TSA) in MCF-7 breast cancer cells. Molecular Cancer 5: 40
21) J. Leyton, J. P. Alao, M.Da Costa, A. V. Stavropoulou, J. R. Latigo, M. Perumal, R. Pillai, Q. He, P.Atadja, E. W.-F. Lam, P. Workman, D. M. Vigushin, E. O. Aboagye (2006) In vivo biological activity of the histone deacetylase inhibitor LAQ824 is detectable with 3´- deoxy- 3’- [16 F] fluorothymidine positron emission tomography. Cancer Research 66:7621- 7629
22) J. P. Alao, A. V. Stavropoulou, E. W.-F. Lam, R. C.Coombes, D. M. Vigushin (2006) Histonedeacetylase inhibitor, Trichostatin A induces ubiquitin-dependent cyclin D1degradation in MCF-7 breast cancer cells. Molecular Cancer 5: 8
23) J. P. Alao, S. C. Gamble, A. V. Stavropoulou, K. M.Pomeranz, E. W.-F. Lam, R. C. Coombes, D. M. Vigushin (2006) The cyclin D1 proto-oncogene is sequestered in the cytoplasm of mammalian cancer cell lines. Molecular Cancer 5: 7
24) M. Lucey, D. Chen, J.Lopez-Garcia, S. Hart, F. Phoenix, R. Al-Jehani, J. P. Alao, R. White, K. Krindle, R. Losson, P. Chambon, M.Parker, P. Schar, D. Heery, L. Buluwela, S. Ali (2005) T:G Mismatch-specific Thymidine-DNAGlycosylase as a coregulator of transcription interacts with SRC1 family members through a novel tyrosine repeat motif. Nucleic Acids Research 33:6393-6404
25) R. Varshochi, F. Halim, A. Sunters, J.P. Alao, P. A. Madureira, S. M. Hart, S. Ali, D. M. Vigushin, R. C.Coombes, E. W. Lam (2005) ICI182,780 induces p21waf1 gene transcription through releasing HDAC1 and ERα from Sp1 sites to induce cellcycle arrest in MCF-7 breast cancer cell line. Journal of Biological Chemistry 280: 3185-3196
26) J. P. Alao, E. W. Lam, S. Ali, L. Buluwela, W.Bordogna, P. Lockey, R. Varshochi, A. V. Stavropoulou, R.C. Coombes, D. M. Vigushin (2004) Trichostatin A inhibits breast cancer cell proliferation through estrogen receptor dependent transcriptional repression and estrogen receptor independent proteasomal degradation of cyclin D1. Clinical Cancer Research 10: 8094-8104
27) L. Sanderson, G. W. Taylor, E. O. Aboagye, J. P. Alao, J. R. Latigo, R. C. Coombes, D. M Vigushin (2004) Plasma pharmacokinetics and metabolism of the histone deacetylase inhibitor trichostatin A after intraperitoneal administration to mice. Drug Metabolism and Disposition 32: 1132-1138
28) D. M Vigushin, Y. Dong, L. Inman, N.Peyvandi, J. P. Alao, C. Sun, S. Ali, E. J. Niesor, C. L.Bentzen, R. C. Coombes (2004) The Nuclear Oxysterol Receptor LXRa is expressed in the normal human breast and in breast cancer. Medical Oncology 21: 123-131
29) C. M. Marson, N. Serradji, A. S.Rioja, S. P. Gastaud, J. P. Alao, R. C. Coombes, D. M. Vigushin (2004) Stereo defined and Polyunsaturated Inhibitors of Histone Deacetylase based on (2E,4E)-5-Arylpenta-2,4-dienoicAcid Hydroxyamides. Bioorganic and Medicinal Chemistry letters 14: 2477-2481
30) J. P. Alao, M.Q. Mohammed, S. Retsas (2002) The CDKN2A tumour suppressor gene: no mutations detected in patients with melanoma and additional unrelated cancers. Melanoma Research 12: 559-563
31) J. P. Alao M. Q. Mohammed M. J. Slade, S. Retsas (1999) Detection of tyrosinase mRNA by RT-PCR in the peripheral blood of patients with advanced metastatic melanoma. Melanoma Research 9:395-399
Peer-reviewed conference contributions:
1) J. P. Alao, P. Sunnerhagen (2014) The impact of caffeine mediated Cdc25 stabilization on cell cycle kinetics in Schizosaccharomyces pombe. FEBS-EMBO 2014
2) J. P. Alao, A. M. Weber, P. Sunnerhagen (2013) Modulation of fission yeast drug sensitivity by environmental and intracellular potassium ion concentrations. 7th International Fission Yeast Meeting
3) J. P. Alao, N. Özbaki, J. J. Sjölander, B. Kakoschky, P. Sunnerhagen (2011) Caffeine overrides fission yeast DNA damage and replication checkpoints by inducing Cdc25 accumulation. 6th International Fission Yeast Meeting
4) J. Alao, P. Sunnerhagen (2009) Rad3 regulates the cell cycle stress response in Schizosaccharomyces pombe. 5th International Fission Yeast Meeting (Oral presentation).
5) J. Alao, P. Sunnerhagen (2009) Rad3 regulates the cell cycle stress response in Schizosaccharomyces pombe. 3rd Congress of European Microbiologists
6) J. P. Alao, A. V. Stavropoulou, E. F.-W. Lam,R. C. Coombes, D. M. Vigushin (2005) Ubiquitin dependent degradation of cyclin D1 occurs via distinct nuclear and cytoplasmic pathways in MCF-7 breast cancer cells treated with the histone deacetylase inhibitor Trichostatin A. Proceedings of the American Association for Cancer Research (Abstract No. 2274).
7) J. Leyton, J. P. Alao, J. R. Latigo, M. Perumal, Q. He, D. M. Vigushin, P.Atadja, E. O. Aboagye (2005) Early detection of tumour response to LAQ824by 3’-Deoxy-3’-[18F]fluorothymidine by positron emission tomographyin HCT116 tumour bearing mice. Proceedings of the American Association for Cancer Research (Abstract No. 3814).
8) J. P. Alao, E. W. Lam, S. Ali, W. Bordogna, P. Lockey, R. C. Coombes, D. M.Vigushin (2004) Estrogen receptor dependent and independent mechanisms of cyclin D1 downregulation by the histonedeacetylase inhibitor trichostatin A. Proceedings of the American Association for Cancer Research (Abstract No. 2444/ oral presentation).
9) J. P. Alao, M. Q.Mohammed, S. Retsas (2002) The CDKN2A tumour suppressor gene: no mutations detected in patients with melanoma and additional unrelated cancers. Melanoma Research 12: A1
10) J. P. Alao, M. Q.Mohammed, M. J. Slade, S. Retsas (1999) Detection of tyrosinase mRNA by RT-PCR in peripheral blood of patients with melanoma. Melanoma Research 9: 334
1) J. P.Alao (2008) Review: Cyclin D1 as a Therapeutic Target in Cancer. Oncogene proteins: New Research. p.99-128. ISBN 978-1-60456-290-3 New York: Nova Science Publishers, Inc.
2) J. P.Alao (2009) G1 Phase cyclins in cancer development and progression. Check point controls and targets in cancer therapy, Cancer drug discovery and development. p. 123-153. ISBN-13: 978-1-60-761177-6 New York: Humana Press.
3) J. P.Alao (2012) Caffeine, cyclin D1 and cell proliferation. Tea in health and disease prevention. p. 1159- 1171. ISBN978-0-12-384937-3 London: Elsevier.
1) Alao, J. P., Grand, F. H., MacDonald, D. H. C. (2000) GenBank Direct Submission: Accession no. AF293342 Homo sapiens RNF6 protein (RNF6) mRNA, complete cds, alternatively spliced.
2) Stavropoulou, A.V., Alao, J. P., Lam, E. W. F., Coombes, R. C. and Vigushin, D. M. (2005) GenBank Direct Submission: Accession no. DQ223959 Homo sapiens F-box and leucine-rich repeat protein 20 variant b mRNA, complete cds, alternatively spliced. Miscellaneous:Reviewer: International Journal of Cancer, Biochemical Pharmacology, Oncogene, Molecular Cancer, Expert Opinion on Drug Discovery, International Journal of Dermatology, Mutation Research/Fundamental and Molecular Mechanisms of Mutagenesis, Cell Cycle, BMC Cancer, PLoS One, Oncotarget
Methods of molecular biology and biochemistry (including: cloning; PCR; RNA, DNA and protein isolation; protein purification from E.coli; western blotting; mammalian cells cultures, transfection, siRNA, immunofluorescence, etc.)
Researched procedures needed to complete laboratory experiments
Prepared protocols for laboratory experiments
Investigated and interpreted observations and data
Minor repairs on laboratory equipment
Good organisational, communications and presentation skills
Ability to work alone as well as in group settings
Ability to work under pressure
Jun 2013 Teaching and Learning in Higher Education 1: Basic Course, 5 hec (HPE101)
Jun 2013 Teaching and Learning in Higher Education 2: Subject Field Pedagogy, 5 hec (HPE102)
Jun 2013 Teaching and Learning in Higher Education 3: Applied Analysis, 5 hec (HPE103)
Jun 2013 Supervision in Postgraduate Programs, 5 hec (HPE201)