Tennis at UEL
The UEL tennis team rosters consist of WTA and ATP ranked players from Britain and all over the world. Our teams compete at the highest level for UK universities with our men’s in the BUCS National League and our women’s in the BUCS South A
We have regularly medalled at the annual BUCS Championships, and carried home two gold medals in 2012 by way of Anna Fitzpatrick (women’s singles) and Johnny Parkes and Marshall Tutu (men’s doubles). Anna, a former junior Wimbledon semi-finalist, also represented Great Britain at the World University Games in Kazan, Russia in 2013.
We focus on creating and providing the coaching, support, and environment where players can improve their games and climb the rankings.
Why UEL Tennis?
UEL's support programme allows a flexible approach in terms of allowing access to its services. We take a holistic approach and crucially our services are year round and uncapped meaning a student can access as much support as they need. All members of the High Performance Athletics Programme will receive:
- Daily coaching support through our tennis provider Wimex.
- Unlimited physiotherapy and sports massage.
- UKSCA-accredited strength and conditioning training and private access to scholar strength and conditioning facility Aqua East.
- Active Recovery and Yoga Sessions.
- Gold membership at SportsDock
- Lifestyle and Performance Workshops.
- TeamUEL Leisure and Gym Kit.
- Access to a range of sports science support, including: nutrition, psychology, physiology and biomechanics.
- Priority access to on-campus accommodation and the option to stay with other athletes on the programme.
Applicants who make a successful sports scholarship application may be eligible for a bursary up to £2,500 per annum (bursaries may be higher for exceptional applicants).
London may be steeped in history but it’s also a rapidly changing city at the cutting edge of business, science and art.
We are the world’s No 1 city for foreign companies expanding their businesses, and we have three times more European multinational headquarters than any other European city. It means there are rich opportunities for work placements and internships.
London is a city that offers something for everyone – iconic buildings and monuments, world-renowned galleries and museums, famous sports venues and theatres, well-known shopping districts and a vast choice of bars and restaurants catering for all tastes and budgets.
All this will be right on your doorstep if you study at the University of East London. Central London is less than half an hour away from our two campuses by public transport – or just seven minutes if you travel by high-speed rail from Stratford.
Marie Prulhiere , UEL Tennis Scholar
For me, coming to UEL was the best decision because I found the perfect balance between sport and study, whilst being challenged on a daily basis.