UEL’s basketball programme is ranked number 1 in London and its men's programme sit in the Top 2 in the UK.
Basketball at UEL
UEL’s basketball programme is now one of the leading university programmes in the UK. The men’s team have won 4 BUCS Premier South titles in the last 5 years and both teams reached he BUCS Championships in 2019.
The development of players while at UEL is of paramount importance. The extensive programme delivery allows players to receive both team and individual training sessions on a daily basis ensuring maximum contact time with our coaching and support staff. In addition to the partnerships with London Lions (BBL) and NASSA (NBL Division 2) and BA London Lions (WBBL) providing high level weekly competition to allow continued player development.
Players are now consistently progressing through the programme to forge successful professional careers both in the UK and overseas.
Current students consist of; Portuguese international Lavinia Da Silva, 2019 BBL Cup Final MVP Brandon Peel. Furthermore alumni includes London Lions captain Joe Ikhimwin and Taneka Rubin who currently plays professionally in Portugal. All these players have benefited from the elite player programme.
Lavinia Da Silva
UEL's support programme allows a flexible approach in terms of allowing access to its services. We take a holistic approach and crucially our services are year round and uncapped meaning a student can access as much support as they need. All members of the High Performance Basketball Programme will receive:
- Comprehensive coaching support through both team and individual sessions.
- Unlimited physiotherapy and sports massage.
- UKSCA-accredited strength and conditioning training and private access to scholar Strength and Conditioning facility Aqua East.
- Active Recovery and Yoga Sessions.
- Gold membership at SportsDock.
- Lifestyle and Performance workshops.
- TeamUEL Leisure and Gym Kit.
- Access to a range of sports science support, including: nutrition, psychology, physiology, biomechanics.
- Priority access to on-campus accommodation and the option to stay with other athletes on the programme.
Applicants who make a successful sports scholarship application may be eligible for a bursary up to £6,000 per annum (bursaries maybe higher for exceptional applicants).
The University of East London provided me with a seamless transition from the US to the UK. The East London Sport staff are great and the SportsDock has amazing facilities that are state-of-the-art. Choosing the University of East London was a great decision for me.Taneka Rubin , UEL Basketball Scholar and Former NCAA Division 1 MVP