Search for courses or information

Mens Basketball 2nd secure victory in local derby

UEL Basketball 2nd's secure victory in local derby

UEL 57 – 50 London Metropolitan University (LMU)

A thrilling encounter took place in last Wednesday evening's London Derby as the University of East London defeated London Metropolitan University (LMU) by 7 points.

In the opening quarter the team in red, LMU, gave a strong start to proceedings however the first points came in after the first T/O with three minutes on the clock. The visitors were the team to score first with two consecutive two point shots, although UEL went straight back at them and got themselves level. For the better part of the rest of the quarter both sides traded free-throw points. Going into the final minute they were tied on nine points apiece. That was before UEL struck with five seconds remaining with the first three point shot before the buzzer. 12-9 at the end of the first quarter. 

UEL got the point scoring in the second quarter underway in the opening 20 seconds, scoring two free-throw points, extending their advantage. For the opening three minutes both teams traded points at will. By the end of the fourth minute the scores were tied at 17 points each, some points scored from the free-throw line others from great play between both sets of players.
Throughout the final five minutes both UEL and LMU took the lead on multiple occasions but the opposition kept returning it to level pegging. It wasn’t until the score was level at 25-25, that LMU scored consecutive points, one for a point from a free-throw the other for three, giving them the lead of four points. That is how the second quarter ended with UEL having had a score disallowed for travelling with one second remaining. 25-29 at the end of the second quarter.

A longer interlude allowed the teams to stock up on energy ready for the next two quarters, with a change of ends as well. Tension amongst the visiting the team at half-time seemed to boil over, leading to one of their players separating two other players during the break.  

The reds struck first within the first minute, however the UEL crowd came alive and that support buoyed the team into a great comeback, getting to within two points of their London rivals (31-33) prior to a T/O. This lead to a hectic opening four minutes as both teams tried to pull out all the stops before the final quarter, leading to a score-line of 37-35.

After this point the UEL fans got right into the contest, showing their team amazing support. Many free throws were given throughout each quarter as the teams traded fouls that lead to the opportunity, and not every time did either side capitalise. 

With a couple of minutes remaining the visitors got to within a point of UEL with successive points (44-43). But in the closing minute UEL stormed ahead with successive points of their own, one two point shot and one three point shot. 49-43 at the end of the third quarter.

More unrest between the LMU players as this time a heated argument delayed the fourth and final quarter, once again for reasons unknown.

UEL gained an advantage by scoring four points in the opening three minutes, 53-43. A 10 point gap, the biggest in the game. But a resilient LMU side drew to within three points of the home side with good teamwork through the team. But UEL dug in deep and scored points within the final few minutes scoring a delightful three-pointer and a well worked two-pointer to secure the win and the points. UEL closed off the game in the final 30 seconds by just holding onto the ball so that they didn’t allow their counterparts to turn the tables on them. Final buzzer, UEL win 57-50.

Reporting by Adam Payne