Search for courses or information


UEL Kick off Their Premier League Season

UEL Men's football team

UEL Kickoff Their Premier League Season

Three first half goals and one in the second from the University of Bath subjected UEL to defeat in their first match in the BUCS Premier South division at Hackney Marshes on Wednesday afternoon.

After seven consecutive promotions, UEL certainly deserve their place in this division but found the step up in quality difficult to adjust to on the day. After a large turnover of players, with several comings and goings during the season break, this was a new look side that will need time to gel and find its rhythm.

With overcast skies and a slight nip in the air, the much anticipated game for UEL and their supporters got underway, but they found themselves behind after just a few minutes. Bath worked the ball well onto the left hand side which was then cut back and struck in from around six yards. Despite getting a hand to it, Tom Wyant in the UEL goal could not keep it out.

Shortly after, Wyant was called into action again during a one-on-one situation and produced a good save to prevent Bath from doubling their lead. Chances were more common for the visitors in the first 45 minutes, who saw two headers from corners go over the bar. They were far more confident on the ball and used it to great effect.

UEL saw their first real chance of the game around the 20-minute mark with a low shot wide from a distance, a slight indication that they were starting to grow into the game.

In spite of this, it was not before long that Bath doubled their lead. This move originated from a free-kick down the right hand side which was flicked on but tipped superbly onto the bar by Tom Wyant. However, the ball was tapped in from close range on the rebound.

Bath virtually wrapped up the game by 35 minutes when a shot was charged down by the UEL backline, before being slotted home for 3-0.  From UEL’s point of view, half time would be an opportunity to regroup, discuss and assess before going again for the second period.

As the sun began to shine over the pitches at Hackney Marshes, UEL’s performance also brightened up. An excellent effort from a free-kick looked to be creeping into the bottom corner before the Bath goalkeeper pulled off a great save to tip it wide for a corner.

By now, UEL had found some rhythm. They had seen more of the ball, created some good openings and looked a bit more solid at the back. Despite this improvement, Bath produced one more blow in the shape of a fourth goal. A well taken left foot finish from just outside the box evaded Wyant and rolled into the bottom corner.

It was true that UEL did deserve at least a goal after their second half improvement, and they got it through winger Liam MacDevitt. He showed great determination and tenacity to hold onto the ball in the box before hitting a shot which came off the keeper and somehow found its way across the line.

When the referee finally drew the game to a close, it was clear that the UEL squad were disappointed with the score line. However, they shouldn’t let that deter them. They came up against a strong Bath team, who now have two wins from as many games, but showed improvement in the second half and dug deep to find a goal. Next up for UEL another home game, this time against Cardiff Metropolitan University, whilst Bath host the University of South Wales.

Reporting by Sam Few.