Search for courses or information


Heartbreak for Men's Football 3rd

Men's football match

Heartbreak for Men's Football 3rd

UEL Men’s Football 3rd lost to Brighton 5th in a dramatic game that ended with a penalty shootout. Both teams squandered leads as the game ended 4-4 in normal time. Moses Kaddu, Daniel Lavin, Festus Ametefe and Joel Kalambayi were the scorers for UEL but it wasn’t enough to get the win on what ended up as a disappointing afternoon.

Kaddu opened the scoring in the first 15 minutes after good work from Malcolm Parker. He picked out Kaddu down the left who escaped behind the defence to strike the ball home.

The second came shortly after when Lavin found himself in with lots of space and smashed the ball past the keeper. UEL looked to be in control but were caught out by a short corner and a shot from the edge of the area went straight in.

UEL regained control shortly after when Ametefe got on the end of a cross from the left and tapped the ball home from 5 yards. 

There was a coming together just before the break as tempers flared after a late tackle on Ametefe but the referee was able to take control.

UEL made several changes at half time and Brighton came out fighting in the second half creating several chances.

Bailey Owen was forced into several good saves before Brighton eventually pulled one back. The Brighton forward curled a great shot into the top right corner. Brighton equalised soon after as UEL were caught short at the back as the Brighton striker ran through the middle to score.

It was a real spell of pressure for Brighton but UEL did have their chances. Firstly, Kaddu showed good feet to get behind the defence but was unable to convert. Then Lavin missed a good opportunity in the area missing the target.

Brighton took the lead as they once again outnumbered the UEL defence down the left hand side this time. A quick one two released the winger who cut inside and finished well. Brighton had taken the lead for the first time in the game but couldn't see the game out. 

With 78 minutes gone, Kalambayi beat the offside trap when he was played in by Kaddu and he went on to slot the ball under the keeper from the angle.

Both teams had chances to win but it went to penalties where UEL's Kieran Baldwin and Daniel missed the decisive penalties that meant Brighton came away victorious.

Speaking after the game, UEL winger John Silva cut a frustrated figure talking about the game. He said: “When we were 3-1 up the game should have been made more comfortable, we gave Brighton the goals today.”

He then went on to add: “When it comes to the penalties, it’s a lottery to see how wins, and today we've not got the luck we needed.”

Report by Kieran Baldwin.