Welcome to Primary Initial Teacher Training
The Primary PGCE is a partnership programme; it has been written and developed in collaboration with Schools and Local Authorities.
Much of your time will be spent in schools, observing teaching and learning, considering how the theory of education and the practice observed work with each other and, of course, working with children in classroom settings.
You will be studying in a diverse community of students. You will have the opportunity to develop your experience of working with children in a range of settings, including the inner city environment. Many themes such as equal opportunities, multilingualism, meeting the needs of children with special educational needs underpin most modules. The teaching year begins in September and ends in July.
You’ll attend five days a week and spend the equivalent of 24 weeks in schools. You will find this year challenging and intensive but we are here to support you on your journey to becoming a teacher.
Keep an eye on this webpage as we will be adding information to it throughout the year.
Primary PGCE Programme Leader
The University of East London
Cass School of Education and Communities Helpdesk
Ground Floor – Education Building
Please note parking is not available on campus. We recommend using public transport.
When you arrive
Please enter the campus via the main entrance on Water Lane (E15 4LZ) and ask the staff at the main reception to direct you to the Cass School of Education and Communities Building. View campus map.
- A copy of the email inviting you to the interview with the date and time to show Cass Helpdesk staff
- Completed PGCE Student Agreement Form
- Completed School Experience Form
- Completed Subject Knowledge Audit
- Completed Disqualification by Association Form
- Degree certificate [if obtained] and degree transcript* (Honours 2.2 or above).
- ‘A’ Level certificates [or equivalent] in modern languages (French or Spanish) or mathematics if these are required for the route for which you are applying
- GCSE Level certificates for mathematics, English language and science*
- Your original passport or photo driving licence. You will not be permitted to attend your interview without photo ID.
- Your marriage certificate if your educational certificates are in a maiden name.
The entire interview process lasts about three hours. It will consist of the following tasks:
- a task to assess your subject knowledge in English
- a task to assess your subject knowledge in Mathematics
- a collaborative group activity
- an individual interview
During the interview you will be asked to talk about a current educational issue. Please ensure you have completed some research into current educational issues in advance of the interview. You could, for example, read recent editions of the Times Educational Supplement.
Our aim is to find out as much as we can about your attributes, skills, knowledge and understanding in order to shape training opportunities for you, should you be offered a place on the programme.
Your responses to these tasks and activities will be considered alongside all the other evidence to assess your suitability for the Primary PGCE programme.During the individual interview you will be given the chance to talk with a tutor about the programme and any other issues that are relevant.
We usually make a decision on the day and will notify you of the outcome of your interview through UCAS Teacher Training. You will be required to accept/decline your place within 10 working days. If you receive and accept a place at UEL you will be given additional tasks and reading to complete over the summer term in preparation for the start of your training programme in September.