Search for courses or information

Information for Practice Educators

social work

UEL is looking to recruit qualified Practice Educators to supervise and assess students on placement.  This is to work in the capacity of ‘offsite’ Practice Educator where students have onsite supervisors on placement.  The placements usually start in October and January of each year and can be for a period of 70 or 100 days.   Students in their final year of studies must complete 100 days on placement, the others complete 70 days.  Our placement providers are based inside and outside of London both in the voluntary and statutory sectors. 
We can offer Practice Educators £10 for each day the student completes on placement.  We can also offer regular support sessions through the year. UEL cannot pay for any travel expenses.   
A brief outline of the work involved is as below:
• Supporting the student to complete the Placement Learning Agreement 
• Individual reflective supervision for 1.5 hours per fortnight 
• Three direct observations of the student’s practice
• Providing regular feedback to students on their progress in line with Professional Capabilities Framework and the HCPC Standards of Proficiency
• Attendance at Placement Learning Agreement and Midway meeting and other meetings as and when necessary to review students’ progress
• Ensuring Midway and Final reports for all students are completed and meet the required timescales
• Portfolio support and feedback to Tutor on student progress.  
• Liaison with tutor and where applicable, onsite supervisor on placement progress
• Attending University training programmes as required
If you would like to know more about working with UEL as a Practice Educator, please register your interest by emailing the information below to the Practice Learning mailbox.
1. An up-to-date CV, which should include your full contact details, and the names/addresses/phone numbers/email addresses of at least two people who can provide a recent work-related reference for you. 
2. An electronic scanned copy of your DBS check.  We require enhanced DBS checks completed within the last 3 years. We would expect Practice Educators to renew their enhanced DBS checks every 3 years. 
3. An electronic scanned copy of your Practice Teaching Award Certificate or Stage 2 Practice Educators Award Certificate.
4. HCPC Number.
5. An electronic scanned copy of your passport – Please note at some point in the future we will need to see an original copy of this document. We can only accept PEs who have a legal right to work in the UK. 
6. Information about the areas of London/Greater London/surrounding areas that you are interested in working in.  
Once we receive the information above, we will arrange an interview with one of our Practice Learning Co-ordinators. 

Our policy at UEL is to process all such payments through the payroll and tax at source.  Earnings and tax paid can be declared on your end of year tax return to ensure that you don’t pay too much tax.

If you have any questions in relation to this process, please email Practice Learning or call 0208 223 4104.