Our vision is to locate the Institute
for Health and Human Development (IHHD) at the forefront of international
Our mission is to:
- conduct high-quality multidisciplinary theoretical and empirical research into the social, economic and cultural production of health and wellbeing;
- develop and evaluate innovative interventions to enhance health and wellbeing;
- promote inter-sectoral actions for health on individual, community and society levels;
- provide excellent teaching and training;
- support evidence-based policies and practices.
We have a local, national and
international reputation for high-quality applied research. Our growth has
largely been driven by external research income generation, with large
programme grants from:
- National Institute for Health Research (NIHR);
- Wellcome Trust;
- Economic and Social Research Council (ESRC);
- Big Lottery;
- Guttman Academic
Partnership hosted by UCL Partners.
In REF 2014, over 80% of our outputs
were 3* or 4*, resulting in QR income being apportioned to the Institute for the
We have a vibrant research environment, currently with nine PhD students.