Search for courses or information

RIX Centre

Disabled Students Allowance


Below are a number of frequently asked questions when applying for the Disabled Students' Allowance (DSA).

The DSA contributes towards the additional costs, which you may incur during your course, due to your disability or Specific Learning Difference, It is not a loan and it does not need repaying. The DSA is non-means tested and is based on your needs. There are however, restrictions on what the DSA can be used for, which will be discussed in your Needs Assessment. You will not receive a monetary award, but the suppliers of your support will be paid directly by your funding body.

To access the DSA you will need to apply to your funding body. This will normally be the same organisation from which you are receiving your general student funding.
You can apply for the DSA if you are:

  1. On a full-time or part-time undergraduate course (for example, a degree or HNC-level course) including Open University and other distance-learning courses; or
  2. On an eligible full-time or part-time postgraduate course (which you need a degree or equivalent qualification to get onto), including Open University and other distance-learning courses, that lasts at least one year; or
  3. On an eligible unpaid Sandwich course and
  4. Have a disability, mental-health condition, or a Specific Learning Difference, which affects your ability to study.

If you are unsure about your eligibility, you should contact your funding body or your Institution's disability team for guidance.

If you are a prospective student you should apply for the DSA as soon as possible after applying for a place at university; you do not have to wait until after your exams or after receiving your results. The DSA process (from application to implementation of support) is lengthy and can take up to 14 weeks. Therefore, the sooner you apply the more likely the support you need can be put in place, in time for the start of your course. Forms are usually available from March in the year of application.

If you are already at university, you should apply immediately, as you can apply for the DSA at any time during your course. Please be aware that Student Finance England’s Student Support Regulations does indicate a time limit for applications for DSA as nine months from the start of the academic year. However, this can be extended, as long as the application for DSA has been made as soon as is reasonably practicable.

If you are unsure about whether or not to apply for the DSA, speak to your Institution’s disability team.

Process for claiming the Disabled Students' Allowance

1.Apply for DSA

Apply to your Funding Body to request assistance with the costs of disability related support and equipment. Complete the relevant DSA application form and submit this along with your medical evidence or diagnostic report to your funding body.

Timescale: It can take your Funding Body 2 to 3 weeks to reply

2. Authorisation received from a Funding Body to have a Needs Assessment

You will be sent an email or a letter, which asks you to make an appointment at an Access Centre where you will see a Needs Assessor. During your appointment, your Needs Assessor will discuss your needs and make appropriate recommendations for your support. Contact your nearest Access Centre and book an appointment.

Timescale: the maximum amount of time you would need to wait for an appointment is 3 weeks.

3. Needs Assessment Report Production

After your Needs Assessment, your Assessor will prepare a report, which includes a bid for funding for your support costs. Once completed, this will be sent by the Assessment Centre to your funding body for their consideration.

Timescale: the Access Centre has up to 2 weeks to produce and quality assure your Needs Assessment Report.

4. Funding Body Processing

Your Funding Body will process your report and write to you to tell you what recommendations have been approved. This is called a DSA 2 letter.

Timescale: 2 to 6 weeks

Once you have been advised what you are eligible for through the DSA, your funded support can be put in place and any recommended equipment can be ordered. You will need to contact each supplier to put your support in place. If you are unsure about how to proceed, contact the Assessment Centre where you were assessed or the disability adviser at your Institution.