Search for courses or information

Mphil Phd School Architecture, Computing and Engineering

Course overview

Start date

September 2018

Subject area






On campus

Course summary

Studying for an MPhil with UEL’s School of Architecture, Computing and Engineering (ACE) will push you to the limit - and you’ll be supported all the way by our world-class academic staff. 

ACE has strong research expertise in urban sustainability, cyber-security and big data studies. We’re also world leaders in ecological and environmental protection studies - from peat marsh carbon capture to bumblebee conservation. 

We have a strong culture of research collaboration between our architecture, computing, engineering and geo-information centres; as well as with other UEL Schools and international partners.

Contact us

If you have any questions, talk to a member of our Applicant Enquiries team on +44 (0) 20 8223 3333 or email

Get in touch

Sixty two per cent of UEL’s research was rated ‘World-leading’ or ‘Internationally excellent’, according to the 2014 Research Excellence Framework.

Postgraduate students score our academic staff highly in terms of support and the quality of their teaching - 82 per cent felt their research skills had developed during their course.

We’ve invested £170 million in new buildings and facilities, including our £14 million new library in Stratford.

ACE is developing better security for mobile devices like smartphones and tablets, as part of a €3 million EU project. The work will protect multi-screen mobile TV, software licensing, as well as stored data.

ACE is a centre of excellence for sustainable green roof design. Its research is developing better water management, a reduced urban heat island effect, energy conservation, and increased biodiversity.

The School is part of an EU project to boost Europe’s data centre sector by reducing energy consumption, using algorithms and holistic systems to improve environmental designs. 

EnquireVisit UEL

What we're researching

Major areas of research within ACE include: urban sustainability, ecological and environmental protection, data security, mobile computing, seismic studies, and storm surge prediction. To find out more, see ‘Research supervision areas’ on this page.

You can find out more on the research pages for the School here. 

Making a difference

UEL is one of the UK’s leading modern research universities. In the most recent Research Excellence Framework (REF), 17 per cent of our overall research submission was classified as ‘world-leading’ for its quality and impact – almost double our previous REF score. A further 45 per cent of our work was considered ‘internationally excellent’.

What you'll study

MPhil is a Master's level research degree programme which typically requires two or more years’ full-time study. MPhil students are supervised by one or more research-active staff. Your supervisors will support your programme of research through regular meetings and reviews.

professional desk

Fees and funding

UEL postgraduate research programmes attract the same fees per year, across all Schools.

Some postgraduate research programmes may charge additional ‘bench fees’ of up to £6,000 - mainly for laboratory based programmes.

There is a write-up fee of £900 (with £450 rebate for handing in thesis within first 6 months of write-up phase).

Students enrolled on to our MPhil programmes may be eligible for funding from Student Loans Company.

If you are a UEL alumnus enrolling on an MPhil programme, you are eligible for up to 15 per cent discount of your fees. You don’t need to apply for this - if you are eligible, it will apply automatically.


Entry requirements

To apply for a PhD course, you should have an MPhil, or MRes qualification or an overseas qualification rated as equivalent. 
Applicants for a PhD via MPhil should have either a first class or upper second class honours degree from a UK Higher Education Institution, or an overseas qualification rated as equivalent. 

Work experience

If you have relevant research or work experience, but no degree, you can still be considered for admission. You will need to discuss your experience with the relevant School, and provide the names of two academic referees familiar with your academic work.

Split-site study

If you are applying for a research course from outside the UK, you may be able to apply for split-site study arrangements, where you carry out part or all of your research outside the UK. To find out more about split-site study, contact the Graduate School at 

Language requirements

If English is not your first language, you will have to satisfy our English language requirements for postgraduate research study. The minimum requirement for a research degree is an IELTS Academic English score of 7.0 overall (minimum of 6.5 in all components). This should normally have been gained within the past two years. 

Your research proposal

Research proposals give us a better understanding of the area you want to study for an MPhil, PhD via MPhil or PhD Direct course.

You don’t have to follow a predetermined structure when writing your proposal, but it’s a good idea to include a title that describes the aims and scope of your research, and information on how your ideas fit in with the research interests of UEL.

Other important elements include: relevant academic literature, how your research will advance knowledge in this area, and a possible methodology. You should also include a timescale for your research.

To find out more about how to write your research proposal, see our research proposal guidance.

Academic Technology Approval Scheme

Under the Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS), the UK government requires international - non-UK or EU/EEA - students planning to undertake postgraduate research in science, engineering or technology areas.

If this applies to you, you will need to apply to the UK government for an ATAS Clearance Certificate to study in the UK as soon as UEL has made you an offer of a postgraduate place.  
The scheme applies only to UEL postgraduate students in the Schools of Health, Sport and Bioscience (HSB) and Architecture, Computing and Engineering (ACE).

You can find out more about ATAS here.

Related courses