The School of Architecture, Computing and Engineering conducts research work that solves real-life problems. We are passionate about enhancing lives and contributing to building a better and sustainable world. In the latest REF 2021, all our 4 Unites of Assessment achieved world leading or internationally excellent outputs and impact.
We have developed supportive partnerships so we can transfer cutting-edge knowledge to a range of industrial, commercial, policymaking organisations and government departments. Major areas of research within the School include urban sustainability, ecological and environmental protection, cyber security, AI and digital applications, structural behaviour, and disaster prevention and mitigation.
Applications are invited for funded 3-year PhD scholarships (home or overseas), working on one of the following research topical areas:
- Sustainable development of cities and high energy performance buildings (Eco-built)
- Structural seismic damage assessment using deep learning
- Modelling and evaluation of prosthetics in sports application
- Low carbon building and construction materials and their structural behaviour
- Deep machine learning for clinical and sports applications
- Blockchain, cryptocurrency and NFT application in FinTech
- Cyber security and resilience capabilities in transport systems
- Artificial Intelligence in neurological health impact assessment