Search for courses or information

Fees and funding

A postgraduate degree can bring you huge benefits – improved career progression, greater earning power, not to mention personal fulfilment. To support you in your postgraduate studies, we offer a generous package of scholarships, bursaries and discounts.
  •  50%


  • 15%


  • 5%


Investing in your future

Studying for a postgraduate degree is an investment in your future - worth an extra £200,000 in lifetime earnings compared to graduates. The knowledge, skills and experience you gain will help you stand out in the highly competitive graduate jobs market, launching you on your career path or taking your existing career in a new direction.

We appreciate that finance is likely to be one of your key considerations in choosing to study for a postgraduate qualification. It’s only natural to wonder how you will pay your tuition fees, living expenses and other costs associated with studying at university.

Fortunately, our Student Money Advice and Rights Team (SMART) are on hand to help you with any questions or problems you may have before and during your time as a University of East London student.

Our SMART advisors can guide you through the funding options that are available, including the generous package of bursaries and scholarships that are available at UEL.

They can also advise you on personal financial situation and provide tips on budgeting and managing any debts.

Need advice on fees and funding options for your studies?

Postgraduate study is an investment in your future. For guidance on the funding available and advice on how to keep control of your finances, contact our Student Money Advice and Rights Team (SMART).


Tuition fees

UEL funding and scholarships

We offer a generous package of bursaries and scholarships to help postgraduate students at UEL – from general course fee discounts to subject-specific funding. Check your individual course page for details of the financial assistance available.

Jamie Felton

MSc (Hons) Strength and Conditioning, awarded a Postgraduate Scholarship 2013

Receiving the UEL Postgraduate Scholarship has been a great help for my study. It means that I can afford to take on slightly less part-time work, which allows me to spend more time at university or doing work.

Government funding

External funding

What’s on offer?

Publically funded research council grants are a major funding source for postgraduate students in their specialist areas.

The seven research bodies awarding this type of funding are: the Economic and Social Research Council; the Arts and Humanities Research Council; the Biotechnology and Biological Sciences Research Council; the Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council; the Medical Research Council; the Natural Environment Research Council; and the Science and Technology Facilities Council.

Who’s eligible?

Research council grants are mostly awarded for PhD research or if you’re studying for a master’s degree that’s an integrated part a PhD programme.

How do I apply?

Contact the relevant research council for details of how to apply for a grant.
What’s on offer?

Trusts and charities offer postgraduate students small grants which don’t have to be repaid, although there is stiff competition for available funds.

Details of what is on offer will depend on the individual organisation and sector involved. is a useful starting point for research on charitable organisations and trusts.

Who’s eligible?

To receive an award, you will have to satisfy very specific conditions, depending on your course. Charitable grants tend to be one-off payments rather than awards that continue throughout your course. So, even if you are successful, you will probably need to find extra funding sources elsewhere.

How do I apply?

You should study the website of the charity or trust you are interested in for details of how to apply for any grants they offer.

If you are already a campus-based UEL student, you can access The Alternative Guide to Postgraduate Funding using the pin number 2468. This publication provides details on how to secure funding from grants and charities.

What’s on offer?

We are a Professional and Career Development Loans registered Learning Provider, registration number 3416.

A Professional and Career Development Loan is a commercial bank loan that you can use to help pay for work-related learning.

For further information on financial assistance to support your learning, please visit the
government website or contact the National Careers Service on 0800 100 900.
If you are in work, your employer may sponsor you to do a postgraduate course. Under this arrangement, your employer agrees to pay, or contribute towards your tuition fees for a course that’s directly relevant and beneficial to them. This might include accountancy or technical roles such as planning and engineering.

Most people studying for postgraduate qualifications are self-funding and gain their qualification through a combination of paid work and study.
What’s on offer?

If you are a UEL postgraduate architecture student, you may be able to apply to the Royal Institute of British Architects (RIBA) Walter Parker Bursary scheme, which will help you gain practical experience and help you qualify as an architect.

Five bursaries of £6,000 each were awarded under the scheme in 2015. Successful students receive £1,000 a term throughout their Part 2 courses, up to a period of six terms.

Who’s eligible?

To apply, you must have been offered a place on, or studying for, a RIBA-validated Part 1 or Part 2 course in the UK. You also need to have lived full-time in the UK for at least three years before you started your first course in architecture.

Your eligibility will depend on whether you are a RIBA Part 1 or Part 2 graduate, looking for Stage 1 or Stage 2 practical experience. You may also be seeking professional developmental opportunities outside term time - for example, during the summer holidays - and need extra financial support.

The scheme also takes into account your financial need, your achievements to date, and your future potential, aims and aspirations.

How do I apply?

Read the information on the RIBA website or contact Hayley Russell, RIBA Education Projects Co-ordinator, on +44 (0)20 7307 3678 or at

Charikleia Margariti

MPhil Psychology

UEL’s School of Psychology offered me a very interesting research project in my field of Health Psychology. I was really excited to work with the research team, and my supervisors gave me a very interesting experience. The bursary UEL offered me was quite enough for London's expenses.