What to expect at your Interview Day
The University of East London
Please note that parking is restricted to permit holders only.
The nearest station is Cyprus station on the Docklands Light Railway.
Your Portfolio should be presented with passion, dedication and care. You need to want this place at UEL, and you need to convince us that you’ll make the best of the opportunity. You should be able to speak about designers that inspire you, their work, their projects.
- Sketchbooks full of ideas and visual experimentation
- You should show evidence of sketchbooks full of ideas and visual experimentation
- Evidence of visual research - gallery visits / contemporary design articles and visual inspiration
You should show some evidence of visual research. This should be an organised presentation of gallery visit documents, contemporary articles about your design, visual inspiration, photographs of things that you’ve seen, collections you’ve made.
We would like to see your drawing skills - life drawing, observational drawing, understanding of garment scale and proportion on the body, fashion drawings, and inspiration development
Mixed media - Digital
If you’ve made any mixed media, multimedia, we would like to see those.
Evidence of self-initiated projects/work/blogs
You should show major pieces of course work that you’ve undertaken, but what we really like to see is self-initiated project that you’ve undertaken.
Evidence and knowledge of techniques relevant to fashion design
Colour, mixed media, sculptural work, photography, collage, and idea development
Evidence of use Evidence of understanding of fashion market levels
Evidence of publication knowledge – relevant newspaper and high-end conceptual fashion magazines
Evidence of CAD Skills
Aim to make it self explanatory and as easy for us to see your work as possible. Try to avoid repetition of lots of the same type of thing. Also less is sometimes more so don’t send us everything, just the best work and what we have asked for.
Please make sure you are on time. If you arrive late for any reason we will try our best to fit you in but we may not be able to interview you until the end of the day.
You will need to bring
- A copy of the email inviting you to the interview/an IT device with access to your invite
- Original photographic ID e.g. passport/driving licence
- A portfolio of work containing what is listed in the details below.
- Understanding of market levels – couture to high-street (storyboards)
- Customer profiling boards/reports
- Styling, photo-shoots
- Understanding of visual merchandising
- Awareness of key debates within industry
- Shop reports
- Research journals
- One to one portfolio interview with two members of the fashion team.
- Overview of fashion programmes given by the programme leader for Fashion Marketing
- Tour of the facilities we have for our design courses/Docklands campus
We will notify you if the outcome of your portfolio interview through your UCAS Track or we will send you an email with our decision. If you receive a place at UEL you will be required to accept/decline your place as per UCAS deadlines/the deadline in your email.
Special access or requirements
If you have any special access or communication requirements for your visit, please let us know prior to your visit.
Frequently asked questions
Student accommodation- if you would like to see our student accommodation
please contact our residential services team in advance, email: email@example.com
You are welcome to explore our campuses prior to and following your interview. Detailed campus tours are available during our offer holder days and open days.