Search for courses or information

Care Leavers

The Care Leavers into UEL Scheme

Care Leavers

Who are Care Leavers?

UEL is committed to enabling Care Leavers to enter higher education and it has developed an enhanced package of financial and student support to do this. 

We work closely with organisations such as the Mayor's Office and Buttle UK to make sure that we offer a service based on good practice to prospective students from a care background.

UEL defines a Care Leaver as:
  • An individual who is applying for FT/Home EU/UG study
  • Someone who has self-disclosed as a Care Leaver either on their UCAS form or through a direct application to UEL
  • Someone who has left local authority care in the last year and can evidence this by the signature of a member of staff employed by the local authority who was responsible for their care and transition from this care
  • Someone who has been in local authority care for 13 weeks or more

Financial support

How can you get financial support?

UEL offers an enhanced package of funding to care leavers in the form of a non-repayable bursary called The Care Leaver and Foyer Bursary. To qualify you must be under 25 years of age at the time of application and you must have home student status.

For more information on how to apply please read the care leavers' booklet or contact the team via email.

For more information you can contact the SMART team (Student Money Advice and Rights Team) by clicking financial support, scholarships and bursaries.

You can find out more about how our Residential Services can support you with organising your accommodation.

Student Services 

Student Services at UEL welcomes care leavers. To access their services please follow this link.

You can email us about any issue or query you may have prior to studying at UEL or whilst you are a student via our dedicated email address

Useful Links