Media, film and journalism summer school
Media, Film and Journalism summer school
The University of East London is very excited to announce our Media, Film and Journalism Your Future Summer School Challenge 2021. You will be challenged to work to an industry led brief with workshops and panels from our expert academics, outreach team and industry professionals.
Register your place online.
The Your Future Summer School Challenge 2021 is open to students aged 16-19 who are in Year 12/FE1/Level 3 and are considering applying to university in the 2021/22 academic year.
Communication in the Creative Industries: What's the story?
We all tell stories, live stories, and are surrounded by them. We tell stories to make sense of our world and to communicate with others. Anthropologists affirm that storytelling is an essential part of our identity and central to human existence. Storytelling is common to every known culture. Many of the events that have shaped the world would be unknown to us if not for stories. Throughout history, communication has always been there. Our ancestors passed down vital survival knowledge such as food, climate, animals, customs, and so on. The topics of interest in today's world have shifted, but communication remains critical.
We are social beings. We tell stories to form social bonds, assist others, and manage how we are perceived. The Internet has facilitated communication between and among many people. As a result, we continue to share stories daily. We send out a Tweet, upload a photo to Instagram, or a short video to TikTok.
This Summer School will introduce you to the various ways we think about the world and communicate with others by writing creatively or professionally. It will allow you to create an independent project exploring your own interests and your own story. What's the story?
The UEL Your Future Summer Challenge 2021 is an amazing opportunity for you to:
- Gain more knowledge about your chosen field and the career opportunities it opens up
- Develop invaluable transferable skills, which are important for succeeding in higher education and beyond
- Respond to an industry brief, getting hands on experience of their subject - a perfect addition to any personal statement!
- Access dedicated career planning workshops with careers coaches and industry professionals
- Have any questions about university and careers answered by the experts!
The summer schools are open to students who are both in Year 12/FE1 and are 16-19 years old.
Everyone is welcome at the University of East London. At our summer school we try to give priority to students:
- with little or no family history of going to university
- who come from other groups that are underrepresented in higher education