Emerging ideas in water emergency management conference
CIWEM and the University of East London invites you to 'Emerging ideas in water emergency management' conference
Date & Time: 11th December, 9.30am - 4.30pm
Venue: University of East London, Docklands Campus
Anticipation, detection, escalation and response to water/wastewater major emergencies are continuing to attract regulatory scrutiny. Financial and reputational impacts trend upward. Stakeholders' awareness of possible service shocks from infrastructure hazards, societal issues and malicious threats is increasing but service expectations remain high. This conference gathers diverse speakers to share the latest UK, European and international developments / innovations in managing water emergencies - whatever their cause.
At this conference you will:
- Hear about increased industry cooperation including Brexit preparedness.
- Learn how developments in sensor technology and the 'Internet of Things' can be combined with semi-automated inferential reasoning tools and advances in artificial intelligence to provide real-time indication of events' occurrence / causation. Yet, human assessment, escalation and interpretation of information drawn from the acquired data remain essential. Identify recent implementation guidelines.
- Appreciate current capabilities and constraints in managing widespread contamination incidents. Reflect on your own organisation's preparedness.
- Consider how understanding your organisation's 'risk appetite' and 'risk attitude' can avoid exceeding its 'risk capacity'.
- Hear first-hand of the unique challenges from international dam incidents - including this summer's UK major incident. Learn how changes / improvements could mitigate such risks' occurrence.
- Draw, possibly unfamiliar, lessons from the challenges of restoring urban water supplies during and after complex inter/national emergencies.
- Learn how 'systems thinking' improved a major water/wastewater organisation's incident and risk management capabilities
For more information on booking your place, please go to the event's website.
Wednesday, 11 December 2019
This text shows in the bubbleSee map