Newham Youth Independent Advisory Group meeting
Community is invited to discuss the concerns of Newham's young people
Young people and adults are invited to attend the first Newham Youth Independent Advisory Group meeting on 10 May from 6:30-8:30 at University Square Stratford.
The purpose of the group is to discuss issues and concerns young people have about living in Newham and collaboratively finding positive solutions.
If you're a young person age 11-30, live or study in Newham, or have an opinion and are passionate about creating a safe space for young people and their peers, please join in the conversation.
There will be an opportunity to speak with and hear from professionals from the police, youth sector, education, YOT and creative industries.
The aim is to encourage local young people to have their say on:
- The challenges for young people.
- What leads a young person to crime?
- How can young people stay safe?
- Is there a support network, what do young people need?
- Do young people trust the police or authority?
- Building relationships.
- Creative ways to teach and learn.
- Language and terminology
- Religious and cultural restrictions and barriers.
- Mentoring and positive role models.
YIAG members will have the chance to:
- Provide advice to help monitor and improve the quality of service the police deliver and help them understand issues that affect young people
- Speak directly with police officers and decision makers.
- Have their voice heard and express views.
- Engage with other members of the local community and hear their views.
- Question and challenge the views of other people in a constructive way.
- Consider own biases and prejudices.
- Build relationships between police, young people and the community.
- Raise the profile of young people within the community.
- Feel a sense of achievement and improve leadership skills.
- Where appropriate feed into the Adult IAG.
Young people will be responsible for leading decision making and policies that directly affect them.
Thursday, 10 May 2018
University Square StratfordSee map