Frequently asked questions
Here are some answers to common questions students ask about our accommodation.
If you have any difficulties and/or concerns relating to your financial circumstances, accessibility or general wellbeing; please do not hesitate to contact the Residential Life Office on 020 8223 4445 or email@example.com to discuss further.
|Tenancy||Start Date||End Date||Number of nights|
|Full Academic Year||10.09.2020||06.06.2021||269|
|Full Academic year and Summer||10.09.2020||31.08.2021||355|
|Current 2020 full summer stays||01.09.2020||06.06.2021||278|
*If you are successful in securing either a Residential Life Scholarship or a Residential Life Rep role, we will contact you separately regarding the start date of your tenancy.
|Hall||Room Type||Price per night|
|East Halls||East Standard||£24.09|
|East Halls||East Standard – 4 Bed Flat||£25.05|
|East Halls||East Standard – Detached Flat||£25.05|
|East Halls||East Studio||£27.52|
|East Halls||Wheelchair Accessible East Studio||£27.52|
|East Halls||Wheelchair Accessible – Detached Flat||£25.05|
|Premium East Halls||Premium East Standard – 4 Bed Flat||£25.89|
|Premium East Halls||Premium East Standard – Premium Kitchen||£25.99|
|Premium East Halls||Premium Enhanced – 4 Bed Flat||£25.99|
|Premium East Halls||Premium Enhanced – Premium Kitchen||£26.09|
|West Halls||West Standard||£21.20|
|West Halls||Wheelchair Accessible – West||£21.20|
|Premium West Halls||Premium West Standard – Premium Kitchen||£22.06|
|Premium West Halls||Wheelchair Accessible West – Premium Kitchen||£22.06|
If you are a new student, you are eligible to live in our Halls of Residence if:
- If you are over 18
- If you have an unconditional firm offer to study at the University of East London
If you are a returning student, you are eligible to live in our Halls of Residence if:
- You are over 18
- You are progressing in your studies at the University of East London
- You do not have rent arrears or previous disciplinary warnings
Asda is approximately 10 minutes’ walk away and two stops on the Docklands Light Railway (DLR). Tesco is approximately 20-minute walk or a short bus ride. A small Co-op is a five-minute walk along the dockside from the East Village. There are other outlets, such as restaurants and a pharmacy, situated nearby to both supermarkets.
Stratford’s Westfield shopping centre is approximately 20 minutes away by DLR/London Underground. Here you will find most stores and restaurants that Central London has to offer. Including a multiplex cinema and bowling lanes.
The University also has The Hub area (where board games can be hired and we have table football), the Students’ Union in the North Building, as well as our on-campus bar.
Please note, the common rooms and social space in The Hub may not be open in September 2020 due to Covid-19.
There are also communal outdoor sports facilities, including basketball, table tennis and various exercise equipment.
A: Once you have made your application, your next step is to wait for the Residential Life team to verify your application.
1. If you applied before Monday 27 July 2020, once
verified, you will receive a provisional room offer, which can be viewed from
your dashboard on the UEL Accommodation Portal, between 5-7 August 2020.
2. Once you have received your provisional room offer you will have until Wednesday 19 August 2020 to make your £750 payment via Epay.
3. Within seven days of making your payment your room allocation will be confirmed.
If you apply after Monday 27 July your room offer with be sent between 13 – 18 August and payment will be required by Tuesday 1 September 2020.
If you are currently holding a conditional firm offer, your application will be held until you satisfy your entry requirements. When you satisfy your requirements, your application can be processed.
A: If you have not accepted your room offer then there is no cancellation cost. Please see below for more details:
- If your Visa was rejected and you inform us more than seven days of moving in, there is no charge.
- If you inform us more than seven days of the move in date, there will be no charge.
- If you inform us less than seven days of the move in date, you will incur a £50 change of contract fee.
- Once the tenancy has started, you will be charged a £50 change of contract fee and will be liable until the room is filled.
- If you must cancel your room booking at any point due to travel restrictions, VISA cancellations or medical reasons, these will be assessed on a case by case basis. Please contact ResidentialLife@uel.ac.uk as soon as possible if any of these circumstances relate to you.
Alternately, you can pay the total cost of the tenancy in full prior to your arrival.
• 06.30 and 22.30 hours on weekdays
• 06.30 and 13.00 hours on Saturdays
• 12.30 and 22.30 on Sundays
• 09.00 and 22.30 hours on Public or Bank Holidays
• Full closure on 25 December
• The final 30 minutes of operation is solely for flights scheduled earlier which have been unavoidably delayed.
There are bike stations where you can lock your bike located around the campus. Please note that you’ll need to bring your own bicycle lock.