Office 365 is now available free for UEL students and staff to collaborate with online versions of Microsoft Word, Powerpoint, Excel, Outlook and OneNote for free. Save documents, spreadsheets, presentations and access email online.
How to download Office 365 for free
To get access for free, follow the steps below:
- Visit https://products.office.com/en-gb/student/office-in-education
- Enter your UEL staff email address e.g. email@example.com and click 'Get Started'
- When asked 'Are you a student or teacher?', choose 'I'm a Student'
- Click 'Sign in' then enter your UEL Network credentials without the '@uel.ac.uk' e.g. 'jsmith1' and password
- Click 'OK, got it' on the no need to sign up page
- Once you are logged in, on the right hand side next to Apps, click on the 'Install Office' dropdown
- Choose 'Office 365 apps'
- Follow the instructions on screen to save/install the file
- Finally, once installed, start office and sign in with your UEL staff email address e.g. 'firstname.lastname@example.org' and password
OneDrive for Business allows our students and staff to keep all files in one location in Microsoft's cloud environment. You can access your files from a phone, tablet or computer. You can easily add files on your PC to OneDrive to always have them with you on the devices you use.
You can also browse your OneDrive using the OneDrive application or File Explorer in the desktop.
Some features include:
- Access files from anywhere with an internet connection
- Create, edit and share documents regardless of device
- Document version history
- Integration with other Office 365 products, allowing for in browser editing
- To access your OneDrive sign in to your college email account via Outlook Web Access (OWA) and then click on the apps icon in the top left corner of the screen.
OneDrive for your own devices
Microsoft also provides a OneDrive for Business app for Windows, Mac OSX, Android, iOS, Windows mobile and Xbox. This allows you to browse files independent of a web browser from any device.
Download the application you need, but make sure you select the OneDrive for Business.
How to guides for:
Getting OneDrive on your device
- Adding photos and videos from your phone or tablet
- Creating, edit, and sharing Office documents
If you are about to enrol to become a student we will first ask you to change your password. You will have received an email from us to your personal email account. This contains your username and password so you can log in for the first time. Your first step is to change this password to be one of your choice, that is private to you.
Watch our video to see how to Log in for the First Time
Your password needs to be:
- A minimum of 8 characters
- A mix of upper and lower case (a-z)
- At least one number (0-9) OR one special character (such as %)
Once you have changed your password, we encourage you to set up further security measures. However, you can choose to do this later. There is a guide to help you to do this with step by step instructions.
Another email will be sent to you shortly about how to keep your account secure.
If you get stuck and cannot complete the process, you can email our Service Desk, or call us Mon – Fri between 8.30am – 5pm on 020 8223 2468.