Dr Iona Burnell
Sociology of Education; Teacher Training
Department of Early Childhood & Education , School of Education and Communities
In my current role as Senior Lecturer at the University of East London, I am Course Leader for the undergraduate Education Studies course. I also lead and teach the Post Graduate Certificate in Teaching and Learning in Higher Education. In addition, I supervise, examine, research, write and publish. My teaching experience and background is in Further Education, where I taught English Language (ESOL) and Access courses at an inner London college for 10 years before moving into Higher Education.
- EdD Doctor of Education. University of Sheffield.
- MSc Positive Psychology and Coaching. University of East London.
- MA Education: Culture, Language and Identity. Goldsmiths College, University of London.
- BA (Hons) Linguistics (upper second class). University of East London.
- HEA (Higher Education Academy) Senior Fellow.
- PGCE (Post Graduate Certificate in Education) PCET. University of Greenwich.
- CELTA (Cambridge Certificate in English Language Teaching to Adults).
Areas Of Interest
My interests, and topics covered in my publications, are:
- social class, social inequality and inequality in education;
- widening participation in higher education;
- equality and inclusion within HE;
- the experiences of working class students in HE.
- Working-Class Studies: An Interdisciplinary Conference 2021, Dublin, Ireland. 'The Lives of Working Class Academics: getting ideas above your station'. November 2021.
- ECER 2021, European Educational Research Association Conference, Geneva: 'Managing progression opportunities for students on early-childhood and education studies degrees during the Coronavirus pandemic: how successful has widening graduate employment opportunities been?' September 2021.
- BERA 2021 conference (British Education Research Association), online: 'Managing progression opportunities for students on early-childhood and education studies degrees during the Coronavirus pandemic: how successful has widening graduate employment opportunities been?' September 2021.
- ECER 2020, European Educational Research Association Conference, Glasgow: 'Widening graduate employment opportunities for students on early childhood and education studies degrees: a case study at a school of education at one London university'. August 2020.
- 2019 FACE conference (Forum for Access and Continuing Education) Sheffield Hallam University: 'The Place of Widening Participation' and 'Broadening the Horizons for Students on an Education Studies Degree'. July 2019.
- Post Graduate Certificate in Teaching and Learning in Higher Education