Dr Iona Burnell
Department of Early Childhood & Education , School of Education and Communities
In my current role as Senior Lecturer at the University of East London, I am Course Leader for the undergraduate Education Studies Programme. I teach Sociology of Education and Research Methods on the BA Education Studies and Doctor of Education programmes. In addition, I supervise, examine, research, write and publish. My teaching experience and background is in Further Education where I taught English Language and Access Courses at an inner London College for 10 Years before moving into Higher Education.
- BA (Hons)
Areas Of Interest
My interests, and topics covered in my publications, are:
- social class, social inequality and inequality in education;
- widening participation in higher education;
- equality and inclusion within HE;
- the experiences of non-traditional students in HE.
- Sociology of Education
- Philosophy of Education
- Comparative Educational Ideology and Policy
- The Language of Multilingual Communities
- Debates in Educational Ideology and Policy
- Education with Psychology
- Education, Identity and Social Justice
- 'Researcher Positionality' module on the Doctor of Education programme.
- Research Methodology - Perspectives on Research module on the Doctor of Education programme
- BA Education Studies undergraduate programme
- Doctor of Education programme