Active member of the Medicines Research Group (MRG) which embraces research across a wide range of biomedical issues concerning the safety and efficacy of medicines: phytomedicines, nutritional medicine and pharmaceuticals.
Current activities include:
- Editor-in-Chief of the Elsevier Journal 'Journal of Herbal Medicine'
- Phytochemical analysis of a range of herbal medicines prescribed by herbalists to assess quality.
- Collaboration with The West African Health Organisation to assist in the development and the use of herbal medicines in healthcare particularly in the development of quality control testing for herbal products and a pharmacopoeia for traditional herbal medicinal plants for a largely uncontrolled market in West Africa.
- Research related to the search for plants to combat antimicrobial resistance plus the use of antibiotics in third world countries contributing to this global threat
- Research on Peer-Led Drug and Alcohol Services
- Herbal practice related issues such as the use of the restricted Schedule 20 herbs
- PhD/MSc supervision of a variety of medicinal plant related projects
- Dissertation supervisor for undergraduate/post graduate bioscience students of Herbal Medicine, Pharmacology, Pharmaceutical Science and Biomedical Science.
- Internal examiner (UEL)/ External examiner for several PhD theses.