Mr Mike Hurst
BSc/FDSc Construction Management Programme Leader
I am a chartered construction manager and member of the Chartered Institute of Builders (MCIOB) and Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (FHEA). I studied Civil Engineering at City University, followed by a Masters degree in the Conservation of Buildings obtained from Anglia Ruskin University. I have worked in both private practice and in the public sector for over 15 years in building surveying and consultant engineering disciplines. At UEL I am senior lecturer in civil engineering, and the programme leader for both the FdSc Civil Engineering & Construction Management and the BSc (Hons) Construction Management. I am also technical author for Pearson publications and have written a number of construction related text books and study guides.
Recent research includes the structural adaption & alterations of historic and listed buildings, their building pathology and the use of traditional construction materials and skills. With regard to modern methods of construction I am interested in the use of off-site construction methods and processes to conserve resources and improve productivity; this also includes the sustainability of modern construction materials and their appropriate re-use.
- I have been involved in a number of research projects which include: Preliminary investigation into the failure of the south nave wall plinth at St. Leonard’s Church, Southminster, Essex.
- Outline design proposals for the improvement of Southminster Village Centre conservation area in conjunction with Maldon Council as part of the re-generation HERS scheme initiative.
- Report into facilities management for the Priory Park Museum, a grade I listed building , in Southend-On-Sea, Essex in conjunction with Southend Borough Council Museum Service.
- I have also undertaken research into the use of e-communication within the design and construction process, particularly with regard to the use of mobile technologies.
'Construction, Building Services Engineering and Civil Engineering' by Topliss S, Hurst M & Skarratt G ISBN 978-0-435499-24-2'Construction, Building Services Engineering and Civil Engineering - Assessment & Delivery Resource' by Topliss S, Hurst M & Skarratt G ISBN 978-0-435499-25-9 These are for the level 3 BTEC National Suite of Construction courses which including the Diploma, Certificate & Award.
Chudley R, Greeno R, Hurst M, Topliss S (2012) ‘Advanced Construction Technology’ 5th Edition Pearson Publishers: London
Chudley R, Greeno R, Hurst M, Topliss S (2011) ‘Construction Technology’ 5th Edition Pearson Publishers: London
Topliss S, Hurst M & Skarratt G (2010) 'Construction, Building Services Engineering and Civil Engineering' 2nd Edition Heinemann Publishers: London
Topliss S, Hurst M & Skarratt G (2008) 'Construction, Building Services Engineering and Civil Engineering - Assessment & Delivery Resource' Heinemann Publishers: London
Hurst (2009) ‘BTEC Study Skills Guide- Construction Planning, Organisation & Control’ published by Pearson Publishers: London
Hurst (2006-7) Selected units for the Edexcel suite of NQF Construction Level 3 vocational qualifications. Pearson Publishers: London
Modules currently taught are:
· EG4104 Surveying & Construction Methods
· EG4112 Introduction to the Built Environment
· EG4113 Construction Technology & Materials
· EG5111 Advanced Technology, Planning & Production
· EG5126/8 Work Placement / Work Based Research Project
· EG6117 Built Asset Management & Development
I am Programme Leader for both the FdSc Civil Engineering & Construction Management and the BSc (Hons) Construction Management.
· CIOB Committee Member - Essex Region;
· Member of London Region Construction Training Group Ltd;
· Consultant for Heritage Information Ltd;
· External Examiner FdSc / BSc Construction Management Hertfordshire University (Oaklands College) 2011-15, Special Advisor 2016 - ;
· Technical Author & Consultant for Pearson publications;
· Link Partner for Construction related courses within the State University of Kazan Russia;
· Construction site visits organiser for UEL and standing member of ACE’s Industrial Advisory Board.
Heritage Information TrustI am a trustee of the Heritage Infromation Trust.
A charitable organisation established to promote the care & protection of historic buildings.