Mr Solomon Adrian Alexis
Director of Collaborative Provision & Student Experience
I am the Director of Collaborative Provision and Student Experience in the School of Architecture, Computing and Engineering at the University of East London. I am also a Principal Lecturer in the faculty of Computer Science and Informatics. My academic and research interest include the area of technology that can anticipate problems and come up with solutions without the explicit awareness of the user or the consumer. Currently I am also the School Leader in Learning and Teaching.
Prior to HE, I was an Information Security Analyst at British Airways PLC where I maintained British Airways Booking System with special responsibility for Data Protection Compliance. I have an Associate Degree in Teacher Education and Educational Administration, an Undergraduate Degree in Computing (first class honours) and a Post Graduate Degree in Internet Engineering (distinction) and have over twenty (25) years teaching experience as a qualified teacher.
I have supervised students (under graduates and post graduates) on several computer related projects and dissertations in the areas of LAN and WAN building and configuration, Virtualisation, Cloud Computing, Network Security, Computer Networks in Developing Countries, Ethernet Technologies, Network Simulation and Wireless Systems. Recent examples of post graduate research supervisions include:
- Analysing web browsing data trails, social network communications, sensor data and surveillance data
- Predictive policing - mathematical calculations to predict where crime will occur
- Predictive traffic management - finding the best or alternative routes
- Biomarkers: personalised healthcare
- Smart Highway features
- Technology in Education
I have also delivered several short courses for SMEs to enable them to up-skill and use computer networking in their businesses.
I was the Field Leader for the Information Technology and Digital Media Field and a year later the Field Leader for the Computer Systems and Networks Field at the University of East London, with direct responsibility for over 20 colleagues. In this role I was responsible amongst other things for leading with colleagues, subject innovation and development, and ensuring that teaching is underpinned by appropriate research and scholarly activity.
Currently my research interests lie in leveraging my strong computer networking technical skills with pedagogy: specifically examining ways of enhancing students' learning experience and capacity in understanding computer related subjects or modules.
My current responsibilities include:
- Director of Collaborative Provisions
- Director of Student Experience
- School Leader in Learning and Teaching
- School Leader in International Recruitment
CISCO CCNA Instructor
External Examiner: Liverpool John Moores University (2015/16 to 2018/19)
External Examiner: University of Salford (2015/16 to 2018/19)
Analysis of Student and Staff Experience in Industrial Projects
Alexis, Solomon; Kretsis Mike; Malik Gaurav. Jan 2014.
A) Learning analytics; to be able to track student learning activity to improve retention and attainment.
B) Embedding technology in education: to enhance personalised learning, blended learning, online testing,
C) Predictive technology: to discover and analyse patterns in data so that past behaviour can be used to forecast likely future behaviour.
My teaching career spans many years, from primary education (ages 8 - 16) to secondary education (ages 11 to 18) and now at higher education level here at the University of East London. I have experience teaching in the Caribbean (Saint Lucia), Europe (UK), Russia (Kazan) and South East Asia (Malaysia and China)
- Introduction to Computer Networking
- Computer and Network Security
- Network Management
- Systems Analysis and Design
- Network Infrastructure and Protocols
- Advanced Topics in Networks
- Undergraduate and post graduate dissertation
I am an experienced External Examiner at Glyndŵr University, Salford University, Manchester Metropolitan University and Liverpool John Moores University.
The duty of an External Examiner is to ensure that all assessments are carried out fairly and transparently and that the rules, policies and procedures are complied with. The External Examiner also verifies that the awards are similar to other UK awards.
On behalf of the University of East London, I have been an Academic Link Tutor for many collaborative institutions including:
- British Institute of Technology & E-commerce (UK)
- Stamford College (Malaysia)
- Legenda Education Group (Malaysia)
- FTMS (Malaysia and Singapore)
- HELP University College (Malaysia)
- Unity College (Malaysia)
- Kazan University of Architecture and Engineering (Russia)
- Hangzhou Dianzi Univeristy (China)
- AKMI Metroplitan College (Greece)
The duty of an Academic Link Tutor is to manage the day-to-day relationship between UEL and the partner institution. This includes quality and standards issues, admissions and other administrative issues, academic issues and staff development.
- ensuring that the collaborative programme is academically stimulating, in line with current thinking in the subject area, using and disseminating best practice in the field;
- ensuring appropriate support is available to the partner institution for the effective and efficient functioning of the collaborative link;
- ensuring that there is a common understanding between staff of the partner organisation of expected standards of delivery, programme management, assessment and operation of our regulations;
- providing the primary point of contact between the university and the partner institution in respect of the programme.